don't hold your eyes so low/as if you didn't know
[html]
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/k ... ump/12.png); background-position: top center; background-repeat: no-repeat;">
He smiled, and that might have been the strangest thing of all. The expression flitted across his face, settling over his scarred features. When he turned his one-eyed gaze upon her, just as she asked him to, she found that she was slightly taken aback. She found herself swallowing convulsively, not from fear, but simple surprise. She had never imagined that she would see a look like that on his face - at least not so soon. He seemed so much like a weathered, abandoned fortress - walls built high, wind and battle scarred, to keep out enemies long dead or forgotten.

The surprised look melted from her widened lime green eyes, as she felt a small, answering smile spread her own mouth. The smile was weak, a watered down version, but there was definitely warmth there. She was too tired to keep guessing. And she had come to accept that this man, so like a scattered puzzle, was more like a dark jewel. Looking into the depths, he seemed an endless abyss, but when the light hit, facets would spring out and sparkle, casting prisms from the shadows.

"I think," she said lightly. "That we should agree to disagree." A concession, instead of another tireless stream of questions she'd usually try to force on him. They both needed a break. She turned her head a bit to the side. "There's always an answer. I think the challenge here is asking the right question."

The vibrance of the color of his eye was dizzying. It seemed emerald and jade all at once, deep and dizzying. The effect was slightly dazzling, dazing, perhaps because he had never really looked directly at her before. When they had first met, his eye had met her face, but it had been veiled with anger, a potent rage. But now she felt as though there was a bit of truth in his gaze, a part of him looking out she had never seen before. "I guess I should take care to stay out of your line of sight," she said, teasing. "Or invest in some good camouflage for those times you might have reason to look."
[/html]

Messages In This Thread