I Carry the Prince in My Arms
[html]

They will hurt you.
     Gabriel’s ears twitched. He could hear her voice even now, and no longer doubted his mother had been right all along. It was not as simple as them and us, but it was close. What few exceptions there were (and on both sides, he was sure) did not excuse the majority. All of those lessons swam through his head; from Kaena, from Ahren, from the dead woman, from his commander, and he knew that what they spoke was the truth. Now long dead, some longer then others, he saw their paths and purpose in his life.
     The hybrid’s jaw tightened. She spoke of war, and of her role as his son’s teacher. That explained far too much. Ezekiel had been doing a poor job at hiding his bruises and sore muscles. How his son had found this woman, and more importantly, why the Dahlian had taken to him, were questions for a later time. She explained this only slightly; it still left his head ringing with doubt. Why an Inferni member? Why not her own pack, and not the one Haku sought to destroy?
     He looked up at her once his hands settled. Ezekiel’s damaged body would need his sister’s expert hand; while Gabriel had wrapped his torso, it was not enough. The woman, with her painted bands and peculiar eyes, remained standing. She intrigued him; if this had been any other member of Dahlia de Mai, he doubted they would have resisted the urge to attack him. After all, as best he could tell, they believed him the devil—just as Gabriel saw Haku. The fresh scars on her body told him more; she had to be the one Hybrid had attacked. Why, then, she had taken Inferni’s prince as her apprentice he could not fathom.
     “He’ll be fine,” Gabriel offered, and shifted his weight from his knees. His right hand, stigmata scar clear, motioned for her to sit. “Given he’s been training with both of us, I’m sure his body will recover from this.”

[/html]

Messages In This Thread