it's like waiting for the ocean
[html]

Slaying the Dreamer
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c13/v ... ayeyes.jpg); background-position:top; background-repeat: no-repeat;">

Slay watched proudly as Roulette perked up, dashing towards the rockpool. He had done something right! The dejected little wolf even wagged his tail as he excitedly leaned towards the water... and proceeded to drink out of it. Sighing with disappointment, Slay nudged him aside, ice-pale eyes apologetic. "You shouldn't drink that stuff, little mate, it'll give you a tummy-ache. Plus, it just tastes nasty..." His deep voice rumbled in his broad chest as he poked the water with his paw, causing rippling waves to echo over the surface. Roulette sat on the rocks, spitting the saltwater from his mouth and trying to clean it from his dripping fur.

Momentarily abandoning the shallow pool, Slay moved to help the boy dry off a bit, after he heard the crestfallen whimper. Slay was a big softy when it came to kids, and did not hesitate to sacrifice the taste in his own mouth in order to lick Roulette's sodden pelt. "You're only going to get wet again in a minute," Slay mumbled around a mouthful of salty fur, "but I don't want you to be uncomfortable beforehand, so... Is that good?" He drew back to inspect his handiwork. He had no mother's touch, but he had at least helped dry the worst of it. Now Roulette looked less like a drowned rat, and more like a fluffy pup with cowlicks.

Realizing he was hovering like a mother hen, Slay drew back a few paces, letting Roulette approach the small pool again on his own terms. The boy seemed attracted to something in the water, before he shouted something in his native tongue. Was he angry at the water for having scared him? Slay let his head tilt curiously, and padded across the sand to try again. "Don't be afraid, Roulette. This pool isn't as deep as the ocean. You're safe." He tried to smile again, helpless before their language barrier. He knew the word "safe", didn't he? And "good", and other little basic terms that they tried to use around the church. Having no inkling of German, it was difficult to choose the closest words to the ones they knew...

I've got soul but I'm not a soldier

[/html]

Messages In This Thread