We are children with chemicals
If a person stands to watch another’s expression, there’s a lot he can learn from it. This Faler, aggressive as she seemed to be, withheld a certain quality of control, oppressive and tyrannical though it might have been. Although her body language tore dominance from mine, her face was gentler—pretty, in an alien sort of way. Her strength of character and situation had an increasingly calming effect on my lethargy. I stared at her consistently as she spoke, my tongue lightly moving across itself in thought as I did so. Only when a growl rippled through her sandy throat did I withdraw from my previous study of her and return to my own thoughts. She was not to be flattered upon, clearly.

Yet despite her words of shaking seriousness, I caught myself forcibly trying not to chuckle. It felt strange being told by a creature so much physically smaller than me how to behave. My expression softened visibly, and I could feel the folds of furred skin ruffle in a childish sort of way across my face; merriment was surely lighting my eyes. She had a spirit of hardened intensity that normally would have frightened me. The fact that I was able to look at her at all (however shyly and with noted struggle) was uplifting.

And her retort of my complaining—bemusing! How strangely simple she’d put it.

“I am,” I replied slowly to her, my voice gentle despite its deepness. “Although, in light of the situation, I feel I’m justified.” With the last of my comment my ears fell in willing submission, nose dove toward my chest and I withdrew my hold on the hanging tree branch. Despite this, I felt myself smiling. “And it’s good to meet you, Miss Cerber. I’m sorry you had to see me like this; I’m sure I’m not much to look at.” The smile which had peeled across my face split wide into a sort of uncomfortable grin and I winked at her, feeling the playful jest roll from my tongue into the condensing air. In this moment of quick flirtation, I’d almost forgotten the fast approaching storm.

The distant thunder progressed curiously across the outreaching sky, shadowing most of the trees and ground in an alien grey that contrasted strangely with Faler’s bright fur. Cautiously I glanced skyward, my lips pulling back to reveal yellowing teeth that opened in a silent snarl. There was a certain miserliness in that heaven-bound expression; how dare Divinity try to shake from me the serenity that runs with simple conversation. I nearly physically threatened the approaching tempest until recalling my place in front of my guest. Manners run repressed for the physically distressed, and for an instant I’d forgotten my civility in the presence of a lady. Again, both ears flicked back in an unspoken apology, and I turned back to Faler in a greater seriousness.

“You’re right though.” I took and uneasy step forward, both arms wrapped firmly across my waist in an attempt to quiet the splitting pain resounding within my ribs. “Lead, and I’ll be right behind you.”

Messages In This Thread