the taste of freedom
[html]

no worries! :]. 349 words

The name of his mother did not seem to have any effect on the male Dahlian. To Ares, this meant one of two things: either this male did not know Tokyo, or that he did not like her. This changed the situation a little. Maybe he should tell the truth, or parts of it? Would the knowledge buy him his life? Would he be accused of lying, a dirty trespasser that shouldn't be believed? Or would he just die anyway? There was a calm sort of danger, an inevitable sense of violence. This was a man who tore the teeth from foxes for fun. Maybe if he phrased things just right, he could not only get out of this alive, but could make life significantly more difficult for his mother. Was Haku a leader of Dahlia? Ares didn't know, but even if he wasn't, the information he held was certainly valuable. Maybe useful as a way to increase standings with the leaders.

"And thus I know quite a lot about her.. Including certain stories that I would bet my life she would do anything to keep quiet." His tone was no longer quite so confident; it did hold a twinge of fear. Beyond that, though, nothing was revealed: it was as flat as he could hold it. The hardest part was keeping out of his voice the absolute hatred he had for his mother. "Promise me that I can leave these lands -- alive -- and I'll tell you." He wasn't even bluffing, not really. Ares knew how ashamed his mother was of her careless murder, and how terrified she was of word getting out. He had heard as much from Princess, about how she had been warned not to tell anyone, or not even to talk about the existence of her gray brother at all! He was pretty confident that Tokyo could be blackmailed with it, and was perversely hoping that the result of giving Conor's father the means to do so would result in her suffering at least some of the cruelties Ares' childhood was stuffed with.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread