six feet down, two stairs up
[html]
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... /paint.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; padding-top:280px; background-position:top center; background-color:#ffffff; text-align:justify; font-family:tahoma; font-size:11px; color:#A06835; line-height:12px">
@$%&Familiarity had a strange effect on the conscious mind--it took the fascinating and made it regular and uninteresting; it made the foreign sound exotic and exciting while forcing one to concede that the unknown was uncomfortable and horrifying all at once. Though anyone would have a rough time dragging him kicking and screaming onto a rickety sea-faring hut or expelling him into some strange, unknown land, he certainly enjoyed letting his mind wander and his imagination run wild. She was fuelling these stunning, fearsome mental excursions with every word, and before long he found himself nearly giddy, as if on a high.

@$%&It was strange to imagine searing heat and swirls of dust one moment, but then rain and lush vegetation the next. The dichotomy of her seasons struck him greatly--it seemed as if they were the difference between night and day, heaven and hell. Here everything blurred together and transitioned more gradually--just as the heat of summer grew overwhelming, the air cooled, the leaves turned, and the snow fell. Just when the sting of winter wind was growing too miserable to bear, the sun returned with a vengeance, warming the earth, melting the snow, and coaxing the colourful flowers of springtime to blossom and fill the air with their sweet, fragrant smells.

@$%&Paradise he reflected, wondering for a moment if their concept of such a thing may be different. For him it was a brisk 65 degrees, plenty of vegetation for cover, and an abundance of diversity to marvel at and investigate--tide pools were mystifying, but so were the sprawling networks of lichens and fungi that merrily permeated the forest floor, the silent clean-up crews of life that were content to perform their task with little to no recognition. "And how does this place suit you," he wondered, "in comparison to paradise?" He would not question her definition--instead he would seek to understand it through juxtaposition and contrast.

@$%&"The pleasure is mine, Alacrity. Tell me--could you pronounce it in your native tongue anyway?" His head tipped slightly to one side, eyes alight with optimism; he wanted to hear the foreign syllables roll off of her tongue. If her accent alone left him awestruck, surely any words spoken in her native tongue would be hypnotic. She scarcely seemed concerned by his forwardness, at any rate--but then, who didn't like attention, and who didn't like to talk about themselves or where they grew up? (Other than him, of course--but in his own mind, that didn't count).

@$%&At the mention of fleeing the oncoming weather, though, his expression faltered. The thought of her leaving for good so soon after he'd found her was upsetting enough, but moreover, he wasn't certain if her proposed journey was even feasible. "The grip of winter reaches further south than you may imagine; it is a long journey to make alone in less than ideal conditions."

@$%&At the mention of fleeing the oncoming weather, though, his expression faltered. Anselm had travelled extensively in his youth, and he knew from conversations with fellow travellers the lows as far south as North Carolina would hover just around freezing during the winter months. If she got sidetracked and went further inland, the implications would be even worse--at least near the coast, the huge heat engine that was the ocean helped to moderate the temperature year-round. Even still, he did not wish to upset her or trouble her too greatly: "It's always wise to have a backup plan, is all. If you find yourself in need of a home, feel free to look me up in Inferni." Here he flashed a genuine smile; he was confident he would enjoy her company.

I wasn't sure if you actually knew her African name, so I found you this! Also, since this thread is from September already, perhaps we could wrap it up soon and go on to our next one? Set after her fight, I suppose o:
[/html]

Messages In This Thread