a guilty mind needs to confess
[html]
    Gabriel believed that his family bore twin curses, a two-headed snake full of venom, and it struck without discrimination. Perhaps Rikka had escaped this—but really, it was unlikely. Something would perhaps one day trigger her, send her off as it had the others. He had never found Corona violent, but she had defended her family diligently. She had held Andre’s hand when his brother had ripped out his throat. Had Rachias not buried him, Gabriel would have left the boy to the carrion birds.
    Such thoughts did not prevail his mind, though, and he watched her face with uncertainty. If she had laughed, he might have taken the paper and turned her away—luckily, she offered him a genuine smile and his face lightened up. A great fear of the coy-wolf was rejection, something even he did not wish to face. “I started drawing when I was a kid. I found this,” he said, holding up the sketchbook. “When I was in Scintilla.” How long since that name had passed his lips? How many lives ago had that been?

table by alli

[/html]

Messages In This Thread