reintroduce myself as a man with a cause

[html]

Snake was used to labor, especially the tiring and monotonous type, so he did not feel any stress through the long minutes of work. He enjoyed seeing his work paying off—once it was finished he could finally allow himself one of those rare moments of self-satisfaction which only came to him after either work or fighting. He was a simple creature—or perhaps a very backwards one—and these were the simple things in life that made things seem to work out well. There was no one to offend, there were no opinions on the line directly. It was simple as pointing and clicking, almost.

The Hastati was very impressed with Vieira—he knew that she was nowhere near his own physical level and yet she continued along without even the barest hint of a complaint. That was true strength, he believed, though he did not want to know where it had come from. Probably from being beaten into her, from all he knew. Snake had his own troubled past, and usually did not bring it up—he of course didn't think down on Vieira for choosing to do the same.

When he offered a change in task, she seemed up to it, though she had to get back by nightfall. Snake understood; he did not want to stay out here any later than he had to either. "Considering the time, we might just go out for recon today," he said, using the military term casually and without a second thought. "I am thinking about maybe finding some thorns, some brambles, that we can collect later and put around these stakes. We will just have to find some of those plants, and I will come back later to get them." Collecting them would be a thorny issue (pun intended), but he didn't mind such superfluous pain. He wouldn't want to inflict it upon her, so he would bear the burden alone.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread