Merry Melodies
500+
[html]

Anann watched as Ruri took her first few strokes at brushing out her horse. She had always seen grooming as a bonding moment. It was nice to be able to help her Dauphine learn the task. Anann smiled as she watched the blind woman brush with one had while the other trailed behind it, feeling for the results. The only humor she found in it was that she did the same thing. "Yup, just like that. Your doing just fine. I usually start at the neck and work my way back, working from top to bottom just like you are." The neck and sides of the horse were often the easiest. Being vertical, dirt and dander did not settle as heavily in those areas as it did along the backs of the horses. "Their backs can be a little dirtier than their necks and sides. Do you mind if I show you?" She asked, not wanting to startle the woman with her guiding touch. She gripped the brush over Ruri's hand. Careful not pinch her fingers or squeeze too hard. "It helps to kick the dirt up, if you kinda roll the brush like this." She explained. As she guided Ruri, brushing along the horse's spine in short strokes. Starting the stroke with just the leading edge of the brush touching the beast, using more downward force than with a normal brush stroke she rolled her wrist, bring the rest of the brush into contact, and just as quickly lifting the bristles away again, creating a sort of flicking motion. The motion was not nearly as harsh or fast as Anann normally did it, but she was simply trying to teach Ruri the motion anyway. "That's how I do it anyway. A regular brush stroke would work too, if you prefer."

Anann leaned against an empty stall most of the time, just watching. Stark seemed to be enjoying himself. His head low and relaxed. Though he listened to the women with one ear pointed back in their direction. Anann had yet to meet a horse that did not enjoy a good brushing. Having grown up around the equine beast, the tasks of their use and care had become second nature. Grooming had not required active thought from her in years and so it wasn't until well into the process than Anann thought of basic tips she should have told Ruri in the beginning. "I forgot to tell you Ruri. The horses shed pretty bad this time of year. By now your brush is probably clogged with hair. If it feels more like its gliding over the horse rather than the bristles giving you some resistance it probably needs cleaned out." When the time came to clear out the brush the first time, Anann showed Ruri how to clear the hair by starting to lift it form the bristles at one of the edges. More often than not most of the hair would come out in one mat. Hopefully not making the process to difficult for the blind woman.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread