Music Makes Good Medicine
Grah, school's starting up and I've been busy sorting stuff out. I hope I won't slack so much in the future.

[html]
If Marika had ever harboured any feelings of ill-will towards Ruri, the way they were now conversing convinced her that the leader had nothing to complain about. If anything, it only served to show Marika that she had been sorely mistaken when she decided to leave the pack for more adventures. After all, how had that turned out, exactly? She tried hard not to think about it and instead focused on the fact that Ruri was blaming herself for Marika's disappearance. "I saw you at zhe celebrationz. It vas very good." Actually, now that she thought back to it, it had been a very good night and Ruri's musical act made her feel happy and content. Why she had run away after that, though, even she couldn't be sure of now.

The mention of her grandfather's name plunged a hot knife through Marika's heart. Rurik would miss her, wouldn't he? After all, she had spent so much of her life trying to find a link to her father and his family and now she was abandoning them. He must have felt terrible, she had left him once before, with no goodbyes or explanations. It was cowardice, pure and simple and she would have to face the consequences of her actions. "I did not vant to leave grandpapa. I travelled for zo long and it vas such a relief to find him alive and now..." the wolfess cut off, the unspoken words choking her. She let out a soft sob. How would Rurik see her now? She was broken, disheveled and utterly lost. And here was Ruri, telling her she could just go and visit him any time she wanted. "Ruri, do you zhink he vill vant to see me?" Although the leader might not know Rurik personally, it was as good as question as any to ask. Marika needed the comfort of a relative stranger and the reassurance that she hadn't completely messed up by leaving the pack.

Marika allowed the silence to drag on in the wake of Ruri's question. She maintained her gait, proud and defiant and hiding all the hurt inside, but the words ate at her. Puppies. She had some experience, yes, since the gypsy guild treasured free love so much and unexpected pregnancies were the norm. She had been present at several births and had tended both new mothers and young, small pups. It had been a joy to play with them, to watch their bright eager faces light up with joy whenever she taught them something new. "Vhen I vas in Europe, I lived in a pack with gypsies. Zhere vere puppies a lot zhen, yes. I vas there to birth them and keep ze mothers comfortable. It vas very nice and I vanted some for myself, yes." Marika didn't know how to breach the subject. Would it upset Ruri? She remembered that first time mothers could become anxious and scared. The last thing Ruri needed was to become frightened and then endanger the puppies. Still, the weight of the awful truth hung over the girl's shoulders. "Vhen I left, I vanted to go back to Europe, to look for my father. The ship captain vas... awful. He hurt me, Ruri. He hurt me and he gave me puppies, but I could not keep them." Marika knew about the concept of miscarriages, but she didn't want to use such a strong word. She could only hope that Ruri would understand.

table by kahilli
[/html]

Messages In This Thread