It's not what you know, it's who you know
[html]

wc: 393

In the few days and meetings since his arrival, Theodoric had noticed the casually close relationships many of the wolves enjoyed with the horses they rode. He had first seen it in the easy body language between Liliana and her mount; he was beginning to pick up the same laid-back vibes between Ember and the appaloosa. Certainly, it was an approach to horsemanship that was completely new to him: Theo had never had more than a working relationship with his equines, perhaps because he had bought the pair as common property, or perhaps because of his lack of command of the lower speeches. Of course, he treated Duncan and Suthen well (better than many of his Scottish peers, anyway), but expected them to obey his commands when he gave them. Maybe, Theodoric reflected, he ought to try a new approach – especially if his ponies took to listening to the horses housed with them in the stables.

Even with this new enlightenment of equine intelligence, Theodoric missed the stallion’s attentions. His own attentions were focused on the dark-colored luperci he’d just met. Despite his projected confidence, Theo was still eager to make a good first impression. He was a man who liked to be liked. “I’m still trying to figure out who everyone is, let alone who has which duties,” Theodoric confessed in reply. “But I try to make myself useful if I can.” He had never been afraid of a hard day’s work, be it spent at the loom, in the dye houses, or on shearing day. A field of hay would be no different.

“Theodoric,” he returned the introduction with a polite bob of the head. Although slightly wary of the bladed tool, he accepted the scythe graciously. “Sounds like a plan,” he said cheerfully, testing the weight of the scythe in his hands. It was heavier than it looked. “Oh, wait a moment,” he leaned the harvesting tool against one shoulder carefully and dug awkwardly in a pant pocket for a moment. “Here,” he offered finally, producing a ball of thick thread that he had just been using to mend one of the pony’s canvas saddlebags. “Maybe use that to tie the hay up into bundles? It should be easier to move that way.” Certainly, bales would be easier to get into the loft than loose stacks.

<style type="text/css">
.theocastles b {font-weight:bold; color:#7B866E; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.theocastles-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.theocastles p {text-indent:15px; padding:3px 10px; margin:0px;}
.theocastles {margin:0 auto; width:456px; background-color:#E1E9EB; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... oscots.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #80ADB3; padding: 10px 0px 250px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#79AAB1; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread