My gift is my song
[html]
Word Count: 780

This day was just not going the way Bris had planned. First of all, she'd completely forgotten it was Hibernal until she was well into her own activities. Secondly, Eclipse was being her normal trouble-seeking self and had managed to disappear from her mother's watchful eye. The white woman stemmed the growing panic in her heart as she frantically searched around Flander's Field for some sign of her child, her voice growing a little more frantic with each passing moment. "'Clipse?! Eclipse where are you?! I know you like hide and seek but you have to tell me when you want to play!! Besides, now we're going to be late for Hibernal! I still have to catch something for the party! The puppy's scent was all over the dilapidated graveyard, in patterns and pathways that made no sense at all. Obviously the daughter of the alpha had taken it upon herself to go exploring while her mother spoke to her long-dead aunt's grave marker. A strong line of curses flew from Bris' mouth quietly as she searched for her daughter, mostly dealing with how much of a failure she obviously was at being a parent. Eclipse was so much more trouble than her cousins had ever been, and the new mother was having a very hard time just keeping up with the puppy. She couldn't even think of the last time she'd spent time with anyone else in her pack, aside from Conor and occasional visits with her nephews and niece.

Suddenly, Bris' small lupine form stopped short as a light-colored tiny form came into view. With a mixture of relief and anger on her face, the mother sprinted toward the tombstone her daughter had been hiding behind, nearly bowling her over and smothering her with nuzzles. "You nearly gave me a heart attack Eclipse, again. Why in the world did you run off like that?" It was then that Bris spied the greenish stick-looking thing hanging from her daughter's mouth. "I wanthed thoo cath thomething for the parthy!" Unable to help the amused smile that crossed her face, Bris laughed softly as she licked her little girl's forehead. "Well then, you're a better hunter than Mama! I didn't managed to catch a single thing, and if I try now we'll miss the fire lighting! Come on Trouble, let's go." Ever so gently, Bris reached down and took her daughter's scruff in her teeth. Eclipse could have walked on her own, of course, but it would have made the journey from Flander's Field to the town square much more lengthy. Once she was sure her daughter was comfortably settled, the little grasshopper sitting in her mouth, Bris took off at a quick pace toward town.

As it was, the mother and daughter pair neared the town just in time to hear Conor's speech and see the lighting of the fire, and she felt Eclipse take a good gasp as the bonfire sprang to life. Stubbornly, the pup still managed to keep the grasshopper clutched between her teeth. As the pair drew closer, Bris saw a dark shape suddenly break off from the gathering and come running straight for them. Eyebrows raising in shock, Bris skidded suddenly to avoid the fleeing figure. As he passed them, the identity of the wolf became well-known, and Bris nearly dropped Eclipse in an attempt to call out to her nephew. As it were, she kept in mind the direction he was headed, and made up her mind to chase after him once Eclipse was under her father's watchful eye.

Food was being passed around already as Bris and Eclipse arrived, and the mother smiled warmly around her daughter's scruff as she passed by all of the members. Not hesitating, the female headed straight for the pack's alpha male, dropping their wayward daughter at his feet and moving in for a loving nuzzle and lick. "I'm so sorry we're late, Conor. Your daughter decided she wanted to bring something to contribute to the celebration. Go ahead sweetheart, show Daddy what you caught!" Eclipse's tail wiggled furiously as she pranced even closer to her father, dropping the tiny grasshopper at his front paws and beaming up at him with the proudest of smiles. "Ah caught it all bah mahself Daddy!! Lookie lookie!!" For the moment, Bris figured she'd leave out the part about giving her mother a heart attack by disappearing. She'd mention that little tidbit later, after they enjoyed the celebration. "By the way, what's wrong with Giddy? Did something happen?" She kept her voice lower so as not to draw attention to the question from others, though undoubtedly Gideon's departure hadn't gone completely unnoticed.

Table by James!
[/html]

Messages In This Thread