The work was hard and the voyage was long
[html]
ooc;; sorry for the wait dear!

A small smile curved his lips as the older male grasped the other side of the saw and began helping him. It was a testimant to their nature that, despite the fact that they barely knew anything about each other, or where they came from or what they were like, they were still helping one another. Saul was an optimistic male and the fact that this stranger would offer his help without so much of a battered eyelid gave the young Stormbringer hope that the hostilities he had often felt pressing in around him were something that was changing. He was a happy young man and he didnt often get himself into situations where he felt threatened. But there were times. He allowed his mind to cast back to a few days ago when he'd found his niece with a strange puppy who had been lost. His mother had found him, but not before kicking off at Saul in the first place.

Cinnamon ears twitched as the mans accented voice came to him. Saul had no idea where his name had come from, but it appeared this dog did. Saul was no warrior, despite his name meaning what it did. He'd trained with Saluce for a while but he'd ended up enjoying the workshop and working metal more than actually training with his dagger. So they'd given up after a while and Saluce was happy to have the little neat freak working around him, making sure the shop was clean and well organised. He had forgotten to mention the blacksmith when outlining the main features of Dahlia- a full working blacksmith was surely something mentionable. The dog went on to analyse his last name and Saul gave a chuckle with his words.

"Well thank you for enlightening me in the meaning of my name. I had no idea about it. Luckily I've never been on a ship, so there will be no disasters for me."

His last words made Saul stop for a moment. Though he had recently been promoted to Jager, which meant he was to provide for the pack as a hunter, he wasn't sure that was his true calling. When he'd been lost for months after the storm he'd managed to survive on herbs and from that the young man felt a certain affinity for the plants. He liked the way they could help with everything in life and he wanted to know how to heal with them at some point. But all those months ago Ascher had mentioned that he wanted to carve the same path for himself, that he wished to become a doctor. It had thrown the young Stormbringer off and he was as yet lost in the world of things he could do. Therefore he had surronded himself in skills that would help him decide what he wanted to be. Green eyes glanced over at the dog and he grinned.

"Right now I serve Dahlia as a hunter. But I wouldnt say thats my true calling. I haven't found it yet. And what about you Ambrose? What had you done all your life?"

He retaliated but was silenced as the stream of questioned bubbled in the dogs mouth. Perching on a tree stump Saul thought about what he was asking. The island was so close to the shore of Whisper Beach that one could swim quite easily on a ten minute journey. There really wasnt any point in sailing, as it would be a waisted journey. However Saul had seen one of two boats in the harbour when he'd visited. They looked very run down and a few only hung by threads in the water. The boughs were bent and ruined and the wood rotted in too many places to count. There was no way they would work, or sail in fact, but perhaps this dog knew boats. A smile cast over at the man as they rested together.

"Ovyind Island is very close to the shore, so its very easy to swim to. I have seen some boats in the harbour but they're all ruined and im not sure they're repairable. As for sailors, I havent heard or met one. But there's always a first time for everything!"

The dog shot another question at him and Saul allowed a jovial laugh to escape him. For a dog he was very curious. Memory threw at him the early days when he'd returned and he'd been out in the vineyard. He'd filled himself to the brim with ripe berries and then Lolita and her daughters had found him. She had warned him not to eat too many, lest he be sick. But there had been so many berries on the vines that it didnt exactly look as though anyone picked them. Thinking about the questions this dog asked Saul realised how under developed the resources they had in Dahlia were. Shaking his head to start speaking, Saul offered;

"As of yet, the vineyards just grow their grapes and someone might eat a few here and there. But no, I wouldnt say they were cultivated. What can you make out of grapes?"

He askedm curious now. Maybe he could do something with the grapes if the dog told him what he could make. Glancing over at the tree he noticed that it was almost ready to be tipped. Standing and stretching out his back so he didnt hurt himself Saul looked to Ambrose for help before he pushed against the bough. It was hard going, especially since it was dead wood, but after a few shoves it began to swing. Using the momentum Saul pushed harder until he heard a definite crack. Ears perked as the dog asked him what he was using it for. A smile graced his lips again and he explained.

"I'm building a house... a cabin really. And I needed some more wood."

He explained simply, waiting for the wood to fall completely to the ground. He would need some help dragging it back into the heart of Dahlia. The dog seemed trustworthy, perhaps he would help.

word count;; 1016

"speech"
[/html]

Messages In This Thread