nadvnelv
[html]

Squee! SoSuWriMo 818

Nayati could not say he held the same interest in the old human tomes. They likely did have interesting stories and other such things, but the man was content with learning things the way he had always learned them: by hearing, seeing, and doing. It was admirable of Liliana to want to learn to read those odd characters, but he would leave such a task to her, for it simply was not for him. Winter was a rough time for all, not just hunter or wolves in general. It was harder for all life to survive and get the sustenance it needed to keep going. It was just especially frustrating and worrying for Nayati. He had been made the Master Hunter in the harshest season and even though their stores were well stocked, he could not help but be concerned on keeping things that way. Game had been especially scarce lately and there was not much that he was able to bring back to the village. The man smiled as Liliana gave him that small ray of hope though. "You are right. Hopefully spring will chase winter away sooner rather than later."

Surprisingly though, keeping he tribe well-fed was not the most nerve-wracking or pressing thing upon the Gadui Kanati's mind currently. It was a bit selfish of him to be more worried about what he was, but hopefully after today that worry would be resolved one way or another. Nayati only hoped that it would be resolved in the way that he wanted it to be. It was an odd suggestion he had made, he knew, but it was a relief to see Liliana excited and eager to hear more about his family. Some of the roiling feeling in his chest subsided and he cleared his throat a big, the rehearsed words popping up to the front of his mind. "This is about before I was born, but my parents have told me the story. It is about how they became mates." Nayati tried to keep as nonchalant as he could about the topic, hoping he would not give anything away too quickly.

"My father says that he knew that he wanted to be with my mother from the moment he saw her. He always told me that she was the most beautiful woman he had ever seen and that he knew he could love no one else like he could love her. He began making his overtures to her and luckily for him she was open to his advances. At the time he was not very far advanced in the scouting path, but she was not so concerned about his standing. She found him handsome and smart, and funny as well." Ohitekah Utina was no jokester, but apparently he had thought making a bit of a fool of himself would win Talulah's affection. "There were some other men trying to court my mother, but eventually she chose to focus more on my father than her other suitors. They did not court for too long before my father decided to propose mateship to her in the traditional way. He had to take down a deer and bring some of the meat to my mother's home."

"My mother could have done one of two things: she could have left the meat untouched, which meant that she did not wish to be his mate, or she could take the meat, cook it, and offer it back to him, which would signal her acceptance of his proposal. Thankfully for my father, my mother was just as in love with him and she quickly cooked the meat and brought it back to him," he said smiling. "Soon after that they went through the mateship ceremony before the tribe. My mother brought the traditional ear of corn to show that she could provide bread, and my father brought another piece of deer to show that he could provide meat. The ceremony was conducted, my mother decided to take my father's name, and then a large feast and celebration was held for them. That was how they became mates."

Nayati paused for a moment so that Liliana could absorb the story, but he did not wait too long before he took a gentle hold on one of her hands. "I am going to leave, but in a moment, I want you to check outside." He gave her hand a little squeeze before he stood up and exited her hut. Once outside he moved quickly and found the deer that he had tracked down and killed that morning. Onawa was there, guarding it as he had asked her to. Taking his hunting knife, he quickly cut some of the meat away and rushed back to deposit it upon Liliana's doorstep. Nayati then took some steps back and waited, his heart beating so hard it was almost painful, his stomach a whirlwind inside of him.

<style type="text/css">
.noellendrum b {font-weight:bold; color:#f2edd9; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.noellendrum-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.noellendrum p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.noellendrum {margin:0 auto; width:331px; background-color:#117c99; background-image:url(http://img515.imageshack.us/img515/6522/nayatitable.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #70c2e2; padding: 10px 0px 310px 0px; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#112026; line-height:18px; letter-spacing:.3px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread