i'm gonna burn this whole world down.
[html]

Sorry for the slacking, I managed a pretty nice head injury Sunday (yay, combat boot vs. cranial structure) and have been avoiding anything with more than 0.000000000001% brain CPU usage per day. =/ Anka isn't going to try to find Nocht, because Nocht showed up after Anka and Conri were already at the meeting, supposedly, so... yeah. Slight powerplay for speed purposes, will change if needed. <3 Fuck, this is long... WC: 1224.

___The fire was raging, and she was running low on energy. Her pelt caught fire as she dodged some falling branches, watching them tumble to the ground and be consumed by the flames that had thrown them from the tree from jump, only to be smacked by other branches that couldn't wait for her to move. She couldn't move fast enough, and there wasn't enough time to stop and put herself out, or she'd be consumed by the fire as quickly as those branches. By the time she heard the other call out, they were nearly past her, and she knew they couldn't turn back. With all the strength she had remaining, she repeated Conri's words with her muzzle uncovered, to be assured that the girl heard them. "Follow us! Southwest! Keep moving southwest! Toward the mountain!" And then they continued, and she sincerely hoped the girl could follow, and would. She didn't want to have to worry that she didn't make it out.

___She could see that they were close; it wouldn't take too much longer to get out of here and to the clearing. That was good, because they didn't have much longer left. Giving Conri a rough tug, her brain released a last-ditch attempt at flooding her with all the adrenaline she had left to use, and she charged forward, bringing her male companion, who was still much a stranger to her, with her. Once they were in the clear, she ran a good while longer, to assure that they were away. They were partially up the mountain before she stopped to breathe, blinking. The air was still smoky, and her pelt was burnt and covered in ash and soot, but she could feel the ease in her breathing, and as she tried to inhale, she choked slightly. Her lungs had taken some damage, but she'd be okay. She checked her bag, which seemed to have only gotten slightly scorched, not badly burnt. She was glad. Crimson eyes tracing the outlines of the blistered lands once called Bleeding Souls, something occured to her.

___When she'd come back here, she'd been just a girl. Despite her life and her troubles and her trauma, she'd been so young, just wanting somewhere to belong, someone to want her. As her eyes combed over all the blackened trees, all the civilisation once destroyed, rebuilt and, by nature or beast unknown, destroyed once more... she realised that she'd just found her home. Bleeding Souls, it was just a place. It had been the home of Ceres Sadira, and that of Aiji Sadira, her mother. It had been the home of Damian de le Poer, and of Ahren de le Poer, her father. Her mind flashed to just before the fire, before she'd drifted to sleep... she'd been reading. Her mother's journal. All she had left of the female who had given her all and been left with nothing.

___"This is it. I left Chimera. In fact, I left the lands altogether. It was starting to show, the truth of what happened, of what he did to me. I wish I could have stayed... I couldn't bring myself to say goodbye to Misery, and now I regret it; she was so good to me. I didn't even bid my mother farewell; another strike against me in her books, I'm sure. This isn't the first time I've done that to her. I wish I could have gone to her, perhaps even stayed in Clouded Tears... but Ahren would not have allowed me to live. And now... it's not just me, on the line.

___Even as they grow, I can feel the life within me, and I suppose I've given up resenting that they are as much Ahren's children as they are mine. It's irrelevant. He wouldn't want these puppies; hell, that makes two of us that has gotten something they didn't want from this entire fuss. He got his random, loveless fuck. Now, I will have my children, and make a family. Someday, we will go back... I want my mother to meet my children.

___I think there's three, or maybe four... I've got some ideas for names. I thought I might name the females, if there are a couple, Anyanka and Halfrek. Two names I love, from a novel I found in old human city. A few male names I like, I think I like the name Liam, and I rather like Chase as well. I suppose I'd name them for myself as well... though I don't feel it's right to deny that their father contributed to their making. I just wouldn't feel right giving some his name and some mine... I suppose I could combine the names. The children could be 'de Sadira'... a hybrid between his name and mine. Yes... yes, I do believe I like that."

___She smiled as she thought of those words, and then it occurred to her. When she'd introduced herself to Conri... she'd called herself Anka. A name she'd not used since... since she was a pup. She had wanted so badly to be 'normal,' and Anka was such a strange name. Anya had been a better name, a more 'normal' one. She laughed softly. Well, changing the name hadn't made her any more normal, and she knew it'd been hard for her mother to stop calling her Anka. Aiji had loved the way it sounded... but her daughter had hated it. Now, the crimson-eyed girl sighed, wishing she'd been just a little better to her mother.

___Only moments had passed, but her decision had only taken that long. No longer would she go by the name that hadn't been meant to belong to her. She was not Anya, for as she knew, Anya was a name for a normal girl, and she was not normal. For what it was worth, her mother had been a fallen princess, and her father a dark knight. And together, they had made something extraordinary... life. Her life. And as miserable as it may have been at times, it was hers, and she had to move on and live it.

___Tears sparked in her eyes. Anka. Her mother's name for her. Now, it would be the world's name for her. Anka de Sadira, the name her mother would have wanted for her. Halfrek was the sister she had never had, and she had two brothers, Liam and Chase, neither of which had lived to see this world. But she had, and she was lucky, if for nothing else, then for that. She glanced at Conri as she caught her breath, still just a moment beyond when the thoughts had crossed her mind. Then she looked at the burnt remains of Bleeding Souls, and she laughed. Not hard, but hard enough to reawaken the cough of smoke and soot in her lungs. Through the harsh ash threatening her breathing, she smiled down on the burning hellfire of her family's home, and raised a hand quietly.

___This was goodbye. A song came to mind. "So long, my luckless romance. My back is turned on you. I should have known you'd bring me heartache..." With tears and a smile lingering harmoniously on her face, she turned to Conri and nodded. "Let's go," she uttered quietly, and in her mind, she finished the song.

___"Almost lovers always do."

[/html]

Messages In This Thread