the only down time is in death
[html]

WC: 547

This boy was strange. Kesho thought he might be valuable, but was unsure of how able he was to learn. The only way to find out, though, was to try. And so he would, even if it ended in utter failure. The old coyote recalled trying to teach Izaak, and that had gone unfortunately badly. The kid was too dense to understand, and preferred to move through life doing just what his uncle had told him. With a sigh, Kesho shook these thoughts away; it wasn't good to think dishonorably of the dead.

Crimson eyes were fixed hard on Revan, although Kesho's body stayed in one place. His muscles were rigid, and his posture statuesque. The boy sputtered again.

"Yes Hastati, I apologize, I was just showing respect to a higher ranking member of my pack." Revan said, briefly locking his golden eyes onto Kesho's own red ones.

"You can respect me without grovelling like a pathetic dog." he growled, trying to maintain his composure. After all, he was supposed to help train these younger members, so he supposed he would have to tolerate them, too.

When Kesho asked the boy if he desired knowledge, Revan's demeanor instantly turned childlike once again, excitement clear and spilling from his face. It felt good, at least, to know that someone wanted to take lessons from the grizzled old veteran. Perhaps his eager mind would be worthwhile enough to overcome his age and immaturity. Kesho could only hope.

"YES! YES! I want to learn! I want to be a warrior like you Hastati!" Revan blurted out, unable to contain the rush of emotion he felt.

As crimson eyes watched the young jackal bounce with eager joy, his tail wagging with great fervor, drumming against the boy's flanks, Kesho couldn't help but shake his head. He managed the slightest smirk, little more than bemused at these actions. Once, though, he too had been that disgustingly excited child, waiting and hoping for someone, anyone to share their knowledge with him. At least he's eager, Kesho thought.

The Hastati stood now, turning and walking away from Revan easily.

"Follow." he ordered simply; his pace was not fast.

With a glance back, he waited for the boy to catch up, and lowered himself to the ground, hoping the boy would do the same. "Now, if you want to sneak, you need to be as close to the ground as you can." he said, his own body only inches from the ground. "But you must be able to move your legs." He took several slow, calculated steps forward, his paws making no noise on the frost-bitten ground. "You need to move with the earth," he said, glancing to Revan again, "not against it. If you try to move against it, you will falter." he added, lowering his head to make eye contact with the boy, hoping that he was understanding. "You need to feel the dirt, the snow, the sand between your fingers; you must use it to your advantage." He demonstrated, kneading the slight layer of snow underneath him and then pulling himself forward, once again in slow motion, so that the jackal might repeat him.

Kesho got several feet ahead, silent the whole way, and relaxed his body a bit, now in a more natural standing pose, though his head was still low. "Now, you try." he barked, hopeful to see what the boy was capable of.

<style type="text/css">
.kesho b {font-weight:bold; color:#9c480f; letter-spacing:1px; }
.kesho .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.kesho p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.kesho {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#f2ecee; background-image:url(http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/ ... /kesho.jpg); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #aaa5a3; padding: 250px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#1b0201; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread