the space between
[html]
THE THINGS THAT I'VE LOVED
______THE THINGS THAT I'VE LOST

Private.

THE THINGS I'VE HELD SACRED
______________THAT I'VE DROPPED

_____ The house was burning. Misery was breathing, but just barely, drifting in and out of consciousness. Her blood was all over his hands. His horse was unsettled, snorting, eyes rolling. Corona was behind him and then there was a terrible noise, a noise he would never forget as long as he lived. The door gave way with a splintering crack and then Meth was on the ground screaming, writhing, her blind eyes burnt up and her skin dripping from her bones--

_____ Ahren woke with a start, panic fresh in his blood. He had not thought of that day since it occurred, but now he could smell her burning. Rising from the soft ground, he began walking along the road they had followed from what had been home. It was cold under his feet, and his toenails made faint noises as he moved. A glance over his shoulder showed him that from this distance he could still see his companions, though they were dark masses in the night.
_____ For a while longer, he walked in silence. Then, without any reason besides impulse, Ahren began to sing. The space between, where you're smiling high, is where you'll find me if I get to go… In the darkness, his voice was a quiet baritone, roughened from the smoke and the years. The space between, the bullets in our firefight, is where I'll be hiding, waiting for you,The red eyed man looked down at his feet, still a dark ash gray, and wondered how long he had been following the fading line in the road.The rain that falls, splash in your heart, ran like sadness down the window into...the space between, our wicked lies, is where we hope to keep safe from pain. Smiling faintly, hair falling into his face, he held out his scarred hand to an invisible companion. Take my hand, 'cause we're walking out of here…

I won't lie no more you can bet
I don't want to learn what I'll need to forget

[/html]

Messages In This Thread