and remember that you too will die
[html]

Perhaps pride would have blossomed in his chest further had the bitter pain of his severed arm subsided even the slightest; he feared for frostbite, although measures had been taken to avoid it and it was wrapped well, but as far as injuries went the male feared losing his life so easily. As they spoke, his thoughts drifted, just briefly; had he died, who would have succeeded him? Geneva would not have been able to lead Phoenix Valley alone, she simply would not have been able to handle it. Ty, perhaps; he had always been charismatic enough... as he should be, since Jefferson had mentored him in his youth, and his father was an ex-Valley leader.

Most encouraged salvaging for usable wood, at which Jefferson nodded stiffly. That much was obvious, though the ranch's roof could wait until spring. Finding homes for the members was an effort that needed their more immediate attention, and as his gaze passed over each of them individually, the brute knew few were in any condition for hard labor. It was decided, then, quietly in his mind, far before they were done their reports, but still he said nothing.

He eyed Ookami with sympathy, now a twin missing a limb as well. A glance over Xeris told him she was doing well after the accident, thanks to his aid; Geneva was holding up fine despite her disappearance and separation from the pack; Pripyat hung his head, clearly plagued with guilt, and still Jefferson said nothing. There would be a time to speak with his son about what had happened, but now was not that time.

"Seeing as most of you are injured, we will save the heavier repairs for the spring," he said quietly when the crowd fell silent, expression still stony and without emotion. "For now, scavenging for useful wood would be best. Go through the collapsed buildings, all of you, and between now and spring pull apart what can be used. It the wood gets too wet it'll be useless, so we need to get that separated sooner than later and cover it up."

A sigh. "Those of you that got hurt — Xeris, Ookami — I want you to stay with Angelique until she gets a good look at you. Angelique, your medic rank is restored. Make me proud."

His gaze shifted. "Ty, Pendzez, I'm putting you both in charge of recovery efforts. Scout down everything that's broken or collapsed and start scavenging for wood for the spring. Rendall, Xeris, make sure everyone's got a place to stay. Geneva, keep tabs on everyone, and report back to me."

"Those I've named are those that I've had the most experience with and have been here longest. I trust them. The rest of you, I expect you to report to these individuals in charge. Help them out where you can, scout around the territory, do your rank obligations. Watch out for each other. When the snow starts melting, repairs will start then, so keep that in mind. Be ready."

A pause. "The ranch is destroyed, so we have no choice but to move. Geneva and I will be living in the small church in the villa near the lakes if you need us. Don't be afraid to come in."

Finally, he lifted his head and nodded. "All right, that's all. Keep up the good work. Dismissed."

<style>
.jeffers-d04 .ooc {font-style:italic; }
.jeffers-d04 p {padding:2px 20px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;}
.jeffers-d04 b {color:#77321A; letter-spacing:-.2px; }
.jeffers-d04 {background-color:#FBF4B4; background-image:url(http://sleepyglow.net/souls/gifts/2010dec/jeffers.png); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:2px solid #000000; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#6F6B49; letter-spacing:.4px; word-spacing:.3px; line-height:16px; width:450px; text-align:justify; padding:10px 0px 105px 0px; }
.jeffers-d04-border {width:454px; border:1px solid #FFFFFF; margin:0 auto;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread