The White Ash of Snow
[html]

Works for me. Big Grin 500+ words. WotD: Futz.

The tribe seemed so different from the pack she called home, and Ralla's curiousity about her rank and duties confirmed that thought. The infamiliarity of it all was what had drawn Princess away from Cour des Miracles where she usually spent her days futzing around and to the woods where she walked now, lovely golden gaze searching for the tree that she and Ralla had discussed. She listened to the story carefully and with interest, storing away the words that the tribal woman spoke so that she might be able to recall the tale later when she thought of it. It was an interesting story, but it was of a different type than the ones she had been learning and there seemed to be more of a lesson in there than most. The character of the story did not learn the lesson, but the meaning seemed clear to those that heard the story.

"Thank you for telling me your story. The ones I know are a little different... Meant mostly for very young childrean, and based off of old human tales... But one I know, I got inspiration for from an old book. The story in the book was called Little Red Riding Hood. It was about humans, but since I'll tell these stories to our kind, it's been modified a bit," she explained. The young woman was not normally nervous or shy, so she began the story quickly. "There was a young luperci girl, hardly more than a pup herself, who lived with her mother in a pack far away. Her mother's mother lived alone in the forest, and the girl, Red, for her fur was the richest red in all the pack, wished to visit her one day. Her mother warned her to be careful and sent her off with a lovely basket of meats and fruits, for the grandmother was too old to hunt often, and the girl went off to the forest." She paused to allow Ralla to picture the girl.

"Though there were many creatures in the forest, the biggest one to be feared was man, who had come back to the world. Red was careful, and as she approahced her grandmother's den, she wished she had brought a candle with her, for it was very dark in the den. She entered, feeling the softness below her feet, a softness that surprised her. 'Grandmother,' she called, 'I have brought you some food.' It seemed eerie in the den, but she moved forward, intent on seeing her grandmother. Instead of seeing her grandmother waiting with a smile, she saw her curled on her side beneath a red cloak. She bent down beside her grandmother, only to hear a click and see a metal stick with smoke at the end, held in the hand of a human with a menacing sneer. He spoke words that she could understand. 'Your grandmother is on the floor, spread as a rug for my comfort. The humans were once dominant, and we will be again.' Red had not been cautious as her mother had told her, and she met her doom with the human disguised as her grandmother."

The ending was strange and not a pleasant one, but it was all she had thought of. "I suppose it's a tale of caution, though perhaps not the best for very young puppies," she mused.

<style type="text/css">
.pdress1 b {font-weight:bold; color:#E5BB8F; letter-spacing:.0px; }
.pdress1-ooc { font-style:italic; padding:15px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center; }
.pdress1 p {text-indent:6px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.pdress1 {margin:0 auto; width:456px; background-color:#CD716B; background-image:url(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v515/ ... sdress.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #C95B5D; padding: 265px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#F0BEBC; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.0px; text-align:justify;}
.pdress1-line1 {width:426px; border-bottom:1px dotted #E1A196; margin:0 auto 3px auto;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread