holding on to this defeated change in heart
Her eyes could have stayed closed; reality could have remained suspended. She opened her eyes to look upon the face that always lived in her dreams. She breathed for a moment, and as she felt the tattered edges of Jefferson's fingertips, she knew that this was a true moment, and not one that she had imagined, the manifestation of a singular, passionate desire. And to know now that they were here together made it possible for her to push herself up, to meet his gaze, to grasp his hand in her spindly fingers.

"I'm here, I'm fine," she wheezed gently, summoning a weak smile. She did not want to startle him. She waited for a moment and let her eyes trace over the scroll work of scars running over his face. His ruined visage was nothing short of a beautiful miracle to her. She found perfection within the whole of the imperfect flaws that blended together to create his beloved features.

"I love you. I love you so much," she said suddenly, her voice bearing only a thread of its usual quiet strength. She blinked hard, rapidly as her lime green eyes unfocused. Then with a hiss of exhaled breath, the words came to her in a desperate rush. "I'm leaving here. I'm going back...back to before."

Messages In This Thread