the children of a lesser god
[html]
Sad

One by one they came. Gabriel saw familiar faces, all with confusion marring them, and felt a twinge of regret for his decision. After so many years as Aquila, so many years as a leader, he had become used to being the rock the clan needed. That stability could no longer rely on him, and this resolve strengthened him. Gabriel stared ahead, but he did not look toward anyone in particular. Especially not his mother, whom he was certain found the irony of the situation droll.

“I have led Inferni since before we came across the mountain,” he began, voice strong and clear as it had always been during meetings. Warrior as he was, Gabriel was an excellent speaker. “But it has become apparent to me that the ability to lead requires a sound body as well as a sound mind. The rockslide has taken the former from me.” A pause. It was apparent he was thinking of how to word things, how best to speak. This was unpracticed. Of course, no one would deny the Aquila’s wound—they had most certainly seen him at the last meeting, or seen him limping around since. “No one person is greater than the safety of this clan. When age or wounds take away our ability, we must admit this. I am doing so today.” The wolfish male looked to his son. “As of this day, I am no longer your Aquila. Ezekiel, my son, will assume the title. He will lead, alongside Halo and Talitha, and I expect you to serve them as you have served in the past. We are strong only when we act as a whole—it would do well for you all to remember this.”

He did not look at the girls whom he shared the porch with, and fell silent so that his son would be able to pick up where he left off.

<style>
.mel-crosstxt-box {background-image:url(http://imgur.com/D0dTU.png); background-repeat:no-repeat; background-position: top center; width:178px; height:237px; float:right; margin:3px; }
.mel-crosstxt {font-family:'times new roman', times, serif; font-size: 14px; letter-spacing:0px; word-spacing:2px; text-align: left; margin:0px 25px;}
.mel-crosstxt .ooc {font-style:italic; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:justify;}
.mel-crosstxt .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.mel-crosstxt p {text-indent: 25px; margin:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.mel-crosstxt b {letter-spacing:1px; font-family:georgia, serif; font-size:12px; letter-spacing:-.05em;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread