Each step I take
[html]

Forward-dated to the 21st. Sky makes the decision to leave Cercatori D'Arte.

When Skye had finished updated poor Sky on the news regarding the pack's changes, the poor wolfdog had been too overwhelmed to go back to her house. She'd been afraid of what she'd find there, terrified of spending her nights alone, suffocated by the lingering scent of her departed mate. Instead, she'd spent the night at Skye's place, helping her friend with her newly born children and spending some quality time with Casper. The whole time she'd been normal, smiling and acting as if nothing were wrong. The day had come and gone, though, and with some good food in her, the wolfdog had left again.

She planned on returning, but right now she needed to clear her head, and the place of her nightmares was not a good way to start. She'd grabbed up a few things from her house, never daring to go into the bedroom in fear of breaking down. Dressed in some clean clothes and carrying a heavier-than-usual satchel bag, Sky had left the house and territory behind in favor of spending some alone time in the Dampwoods forest up North.

That place had been a safe haven for her during her travels. She'd passed through it dozens of times in the first few nights. Each time had been calming, with water where and when she needed it, plenty of rabbits to hunt and no territories nearby to worry about. It was a loner's paradise. The only place better would have been Drifter Bay, but in the last few days, she'd heard tell of scent markers being noticed there. No longer was it safe for her, so the forest would have to do.

Her trip there had taken her a good two days on foot. It was a long walk, but worth every minute spent away from the safety of her home. By the time she'd made it there, it was close to noon, sunny and warm despite the season. She found herself a safe spot near a stream to settle down, sitting herself down on a rock beside the water as it flowed past.

After some time spent in silence, thinking things over, trying to clear her head... a voice. Momma, don't be so sad. She'd heard these voices before. They came to her whenever she felt broken. She knew the truth, that she wasn't haunted or followed by her departed sons, but the voices still came... She truely was going insane.

Insanity doesn't sound so bad right now, actually. That dark voice in the back of her mind bitterly remarked, reminding her of just how twisted she'd become. He'll come back... right? They never come back. They're all selfish. Why would he care? He wanted to marry me. He loved me. Sky quietly murmured to herself, tucking her legs into her chest.

Love's not real, you idiot. Who's ever loved you? Mother? Father? Dusk? None of them ever cared. They're gone forever, just like Shawchert. What's the point of going back to that place if there's nothing left? That dark voice in her head chided, building up a bitter feeling in Sky's chest. It was true; there wasn't anything left there that she couldn't take with her. Memories haunted her as soon as she passed the border. Why stay?

Find a new pack, and this time, learn from your mistakes. We don't need that sort of hurt anymore. Sky remained silent for a long time after that, staring at her reflection in the water. She'd changed. Her hair was cut short now, framing her face but never going past her cheekbones, save for the braid that travelled down her spine. She was thinner now, though stronger built from her time spent hunting alone, constantly on the move.

She wasn't that singing songbird that had joined Cercatori D'Arte anymore. She was no one's finch or canary. She could heal broken bones and make well the sick. She could hunt down big game without help from other wolves. She'd taken care of herself these past months. I can't go back anyway. If I do, it'll be to tell Skye and Bangle, and to pick up Casper and the rest of my things. For a moment more, she sat there, staring hard-pressed at her reflection.

Goodbye, Shawchert. I hope you find whatever you're looking for.

<style type="text/css">
.sky-goat-gift b {font-weight:bold; color:#ebce94; letter-spacing:1px; }
.sky-goat-gift .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; text-align:center;}
.sky-goat-gift p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.sky-goat-gift {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#9a5a02; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/HcU2l.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #000000; padding: 210px 0px 10px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#250f01; line-height:16px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread