You aint just whistling Dixie...
[html]

She was a charming woman. He would never have guessed the hardships she had recently undergone. The fire had been hard on him, having lived in Bleeding Souls for over half of his long life, but hadn't had any true family there to lose. At the prospect of learning to play himself, his ear fell back as he shook his head, doing his best to turn down her offer respectfully.

"I apologize. Teaching an old wolf like me to play one of your instruments would be a great gift, and I thank you for extending the invitation. I am already trying to improve at two other skills, and require much of my day to keep myself sharp for my primary function as a protector of this place. If this were not true, I would gladly accept." It was a shame, too, but between improving his carvings and learning to read, he had no time to learn another superfluous skill. Having two pastimes was enough for Skoll, though he would also share tales at any opportunity. It was his discipline that made him who he was; he would not undertake a new goal lightly, and he could not take on another without siphoning time away from his existing goals.

He had gained the skills he used today by practicing with his mentor many hours a day, every day, for six months. From there, he had proceeded to practice every day alone for one to three hours from that time and onto this day, over four years later. He had engaged in many skirmishes, a few wars, taken students of his own, and protected many borders. Every fighter had natural strengths to build on, he'd learned; his was discipline, the determination to complete his task unto perfection, and then improve it from there. He wasn't as serious about his wood-carving as his fighting, but even when he was relaxing Skoll was still more serious than many individuals. There might come a day when he felt that he was good enough at it that he didn't need to actively carve for the sake of practice any longer. On that day, he could undertake a new challenge.

~The lyrics are from the best song ever written.
[/html]

Messages In This Thread