Welcome my heart home
[html]

The youth nodded. “Nothing fancy like that,” he said in reference to the figurines, which seemed to be whittled or carved. “Mostly construction,” he elaborated. “So a little with metal and masonry, too.” He knew how to properly fell trees, lay stone evenly, bend pipe, and craft primitive bricks and mortar. He even knew how a primitive sawmill worked... at least in theory, since beasts of burden were inaccessible in his home pack and he never got to see one of the abandoned mills in operation.

Regardless, Barrett didn't do details—he lacked concentration, if not patience. Working with his hands on large projects left his mind free to wander, which was one of the best aspects of that sort of labour. He seemed to possess an innate understanding of statics and mechanics, which allowed him to work efficiently without sacrificing the durability of the final product. Still, once everything was stable and functional, he was ready to move on. He rarely bothered to go back and refine his work.

That didn't mean he didn't appreciate the careful, thoughtfully placed chips and incisions this human put into the figures. He peered curiously at hers before another one caught his eye. The café-coloured yearling plucked it gently from the shelf and ran a padded finger over it. “Look Helix, another snail!” he exclaimed softly, holding it up for the mollusc to see. The gastropod probed at it briefly with a tentacle before turning away, unimpressed by its wooden likeness (or perhaps simply turned off by the dry sawdust and plaster that had accumulated atop it over time). Barrett shrugged and stuffed the carving in his pocket.

The paw then returned to rub at a tickle in his nose, but he sneezed anyway. He peered to his superior inquisitively; had they seen enough here? There was so much left to explore...

sounds like a pole lathe to me ^-^
<style type="text/css">
.barrett-snail2 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; font-family:verdana,sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.barrett-snail2 p {text-indent:30px; padding:0px 0px; margin:0px;}
.barrett-snail2 {margin:0 auto; width:500px; background-color:#; background-image:url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... ail2ct.png),url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... ail2cb.png); background-position:top center, bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat, no-repeat; border:none; padding: 65px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: 'palatino linotype',palatino,serif; font-size:12px; color:#000000; text-align:justify;}
.barrett-snail2-inner {width:370px; border:none; margin:0 auto 0px auto;}
.barrett-snail2-wc {text-indent:100px; font-weight:bold; line-height:10px;font-size:10px;font-family:'lucida console',sans-serf;text-align:left;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread