Odd Man Out
[html]

In his half-asleep state, Slay didn't quite comprehend where the melody was coming from, and he lazily hummed along to the tuneless ditty. That is, until he spotted the stranger who was singing. Pale blue eyes snapped open as his adrenaline spiked, and the arctic wolf scrabbled against the grass to right himself, at least to a seated position.

"Wh-what the - how did you sneak up on me?!" was the first phrase that sputtered out of the startled male's mouth. He felt more indignant than threatened - after all, approaching someone while singing a song wasn't exactly a way to start a fight. This was his pack's land, but this newcomer smelled like he'd been here for a little while already. Had he been accepted as a packmate? Were they comrades now? No, he didn't have that strong of a scent. He was a squatter, then? Was Slay supposed to drive him off? He really didn't feel up to it... Actually, that struck a chord. Moments ago he'd felt such animosity towards the trespassers he'd uncovered, and now, meeting one face-to-face, he could really care less. Perhaps this stranger was different than most...

Slay coughed awkwardly, trying to smooth out his ruffled black-and-white fur and regain his dignity. "I, I mean, who are you...? Do you have business here with... Dahlia de Mai?" Slay resisted biting his lip - dammit, that didn't sound right either. Could he just start over? Why was he so awkward when it came to socializing?
He studied the chocolate-and-cream-furred wolf before him for a moment, noting how open and friendly he seemed. Almost too friendly - they were about the same age, weren't they? But this guy acted more like a puppy. Interesting. Maybe he wouldn't mind that Slay was acting like an imbecile.

"You have a beautiful singing voice," he muttered, finally saying what he wanted to in the first place. Did this stranger expect him to sing along, too? It sounded that way, and if he hadn't been startled out of his wits, he probably would've jumped right into the ditty. He did like to sing. But after he'd spoken normally, wasn't it too late?

[/html]

Messages In This Thread