Was the fire always so cold?
OOC: Well, now I want to paint now, too :I Depressing-ramble-post is depressing >_<

They walked until they came upon the same copse of trees that Ralla had brought Bangle to not too long ago--like before, it kept them safe from prying eyes and would shroud them from any suspicion. Strelein hit the mark dead on with his first question, albeit... "Not me, specifically," she said a bit wistfully. Not that she wanted to leave AniWaya at all, but she...she just wished that it would go back to the way it was before. The way it was now... It was almost like she had to run away just to see it again, like it had moved and been replaced. But she knew that that wasn't the answer and that her home was still there under the layers of hate and conspiracy.

The children were so preoccupied with Strelein that they didn't pay their mother's next words much heed--they had, unfortunately, heard much worse as things escalated within the tribe. It would not be long until they knew the full extent of words and meanings, and they would no longer be able to hide behind childhood innocence. "It's all terrible," she said while gripping her left arm, the bandages spanning all the way to just below her shoulder. Wematin had not been merciful, and yet...she knew that if things continued, it would not be the last time he sought her and her tribe mates out. It was all far from over. "Chief Dawali... He and I are no longer leading AniWaya. A man from the Great Tribe--Maska--came and assumed leadership, but the way he rules us... It's not the tribe I once knew." The white mother sat next to her children and held Alaster close to her chest, patting his head. "There are Guardians--Maska's special warriors--and they're as ruthless as he is. They've hurt my family," she said with fervor, although when she said 'family' it was meant for her entire tribe. "And Maska ordered a raid on Crimson Dreams the other day, too, all because he thought they were planning something malicious. Can you imagine? Crimson Dreams at war with us? AniWaya at war at all?" "Those men are meanies!" Aleu piped up from Strelein's arms, although Ralla doubted that the small girl knew the full extent of just how 'mean' they were. Nootau had previously alighted on a branch and was playing lookout. Honestly, Ralla didn't know what she'd do without him half the time. He alone was proof that the spirits had not given up on them, and yet... She couldn't shake a detail that had stuck within her mind. If it was true--that the spirits had never chosen Dawali--then wouldn't all the spirit guides in the tribe have already voiced their displeasure? As far as she knew, there had not been such spiritual upheaval...well, in forever! Even the moon had not voiced such pain before Maska--none that dealt with the higher plane, at least.

"I was going to take these three to you and Noss," Ralla said. "For a visit," she assured the pups, as if she weren't going to leave them there by themselves. But she had to. "I was hoping...that they would be safe with you two. Ayasha I can't convince to go, and she's a young adult now--I can't restrict her freedom anymore than Maska already has. And I can't be gone for too long--we're being kept a closer eye on more and more now lately. But so long as they were safe..." Alaster looked up at his mother with his soft green eyes and nuzzled under her chin, Ahiga curling his body with Strelein's. Maybe they didn't know the exact words their mother was talking about, but they could sure feel her apprehension. So long as they only think it's a visit...they won't worry too much. "I can't leave AniWaya now, though. I want to try as much as I can to see this through... But please, tell me about what's been going on in Cour des Miracles. I hope only good things? How're you and my brother?" Ralla fired off the questions, if not only to distract her ruminations and change the subject from its dour atmosphere. She hated being the bearer of bad news and asking for such a burden from the redheaded tailor at all--certainly he had not foreseen children when he became involved with Noss--but she didn't know what else to do. The Guardians had harmed her friends, her family, and her--it was only a matter of time before it was her children. And Crimson Dreams was obviously not a good hiding spot, since they were probably furious at her tribe now and would not accept anymore refugees--look where accepting the Utinas had gotten them.

It was just all so, so wrong.

Moon walks. "Moon talks." Moon thinks.

Messages In This Thread