The demons that we keep.
Orin came to a stop and gasped softly when Jace spoke the name. The name she hadn’t heard in months; the name for a part of her that, Orin knew, was still with her, but a part of her that she tried desperately to forget. Even though the woman didn’t mean any harm, it was still like being splashed with cold water while you were enjoying a warm summer nap. She tried to recover but was a few seconds too slow, Jace could easily notice her stumble.

She nodded, the smile working slowly back onto her muzzle. “Y-yes, it’s me.” Oh god, Orin, you sound like you have a speech impediment. Can’t you get one word out smoothly? “It’s me, but I’m called Orin now.”

The smile cocked half of her muzzle, and her eyes looked guilty. She felt bad for lying to the people from Phoenix Valley who had protected her when she needed it the most. She hoped Jace wouldn’t be mad, would give her time to explain, but one thing she wouldn’t do was keep lying to the Valley woman.

“It’s so good to see you,” she started, broaching their reunion carefully. “Are you still with the Valley? Wait, no, it has changed, right? I’m still trying to get my bearings again… Ichika Noin, is it?” She said the pack name incorrectly, and knew it, but looked for forgiveness in Jace. It was terrible, she should have at least kept up on what went on with her one-time saviors. She tried to hurry along, before Jace could get upset with the folly.

“I’m a part of Cercatori d’Arte now… again…” She knew Jace didn’t know of her past before. No one in the Valley had known that Desdemona Moonsong was really the woman from Cercatori, or that the puppies she had with her belonged to d’Arte’s alpha (at the time). “How are you doing? How is the pack?”

300+

Messages In This Thread