Running from the Tide
Alma recalled her pack days, when she was young, and remembered how her mother or Aden would expect her to show submissiveness. The same could be required of her here. She pressed her ears downward and did not meet his eyes. If she could have placed her tail between her legs in her current sitting position, she would have.

"I...." She opened her mouth to answer his question, and all her thoughts bubbled up at once. Were they really vicious? Would they be willing to teach someone that sounded so stupid? Would they accept her as a coyote? Certainly, no wolf looked at her and thought of her as a wolf. Would they see the same thing?

She glanced up for just a moment. Alma saw the black-and-white ‘coyote’ and was briefly confused. She’d never seen a coyote that color before, with the exception of her siblings....

Her ears perked up at the sudden realization. She had no idea what a jackal was, and had certainty never seen one, so she made the only assumption she could make: another half-wolf, half-coyote. Perhaps they are more accepting than I thought. "I wish to join," she said at last.

Messages In This Thread