Running from the Tide
((That sounds good, since they'll both need time to make the objects for the trade.))

Alma nodded politely as he mentioned his title. From the context, she gathered that it meant he was the leader. She knew not what to make of his smile; she'd been so long without contact from others that she couldn't tell a false smile from a real one. Despite this, her first impression was that the Aquila seemed to be friendlier than she had expected.

"My bow?" She hesitated for a moment, then gave the bow to him. "Of course."

The bow was clearly a longbow, because it was almost as long as Alma was tall. It was made of red oak, with a surface that had been sanded smooth with a pumice stone. The wood had no visible crack or deformities, and no decorations either. Plain, but functional.

Alma's nervousness manifested as a pair of twitching ears and a sudden urge to chatter. Not that she hadn't wanted to talk to someone who shared her interest. "Oak." She said, "is not my favorite wood to use, but it is the easiest to trade for. I never had time to dry wood properly while traveling. Had to deal with others to get seasoned wood." One thing she looked forward to, as a result of staying in one place, was cutting her own wood down and using it. Alma disliked trading with others for wood, because the non-archers were unreliable and didn't know what was suitable for a bow, and the bow-makers rarely wanted to trade for what she had.

Messages In This Thread