for those who find reality too hard to believe in.
[html]

Poor Savina; Barry was rather fond of the onyx female and considered her nothing less than family. And yet, as Silvano accepted the smouldering cigarette, the loner unwittingly betrayed her a third time: the first was by bedding with her sister; the second with her enemy; and now he supplied her youngest son with drugs. Once again, if confronted, he would claim ignorance. He hadn't known Ghita was betrothed or that Naniko was her nemesis... just like he didn't know this boy was hers. Perhaps he was simply doomed to charge with reckless abandon from one fiasco to the next; it wasn't a new pattern. It frustrated Maserati endlessly, since she knew her son could think tactically and intuitively when pressed. He could plan out an entire construction project and food stores for winter, but he couldn't help himself when it came to drugs and sex. At least, she'd reasoned, he wasn't very destructive. No--he abhorred violence; the Dreamers' pacifism was one thing he always enjoyed. That made him all the more surprised when his guest spoke of war.

War. How could one simple, three-letter, monosyllabic word conjure up such grotesque images? He'd heard Anselm's war stories. Bloodshed; rape; slaughter of the innocents. It wasn't a pretty picture, and he cringed sympathetically. He wasn't familiar with AniWaya or her Culture, but he listened carefully as Silvano elaborated further. Apparently this was pretty off-the-wall behaviour from their neighbours, which Barrett reckoned made the whole thing that much more frustrating and confusing. His gaze was downcast as he shook his head forlornly--his past connections to Crimson Dreams and the wolves that lived there made it easy to empathise. Wow, he croaked out at last, taking the joint back and watching the smoke curl away. Unbelievable! he exclaimed, though another solemn shake showed he did believe it--it just hadn't fully sunk in yet. Things were always so peaceful there... he trailed off, exhaling slowly into the still night air.

The yearling's introduction seemed to snap him out of his reverie. Oh, he said, popping the joint back in his mouth so he could exchange a handshake. I'm Barrett. My mum was good friends with Savina; I lived down there for a little, but I had more going on up here, he explained. And while he did, it seemed sort of silly now. Not when the pack was in a time of need. How long has this been going on? he wondered. I... hope no major casualties? he asked, passing the joint back so the poor boy could have another go.

<style>
.barry-graffiti p {padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:30px;}
.barry-graffiti b {color:#3CBCD7; font-family:georgia, serif; font-weight:bold; font-size:12px;text-shadow: #000000 0.1em 0.1em 0.3em;quotes:'“' '”';}
.barry-graffiti b:before{content:open-quote;}
.barry-graffiti b:after{content:close-quote;}
.barry-graffiti {font-family: 'PT Sans Caption',verdana,sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#777777; text-align: justify; background-color:#2B292A; background-image:url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... affiti.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:230px 0px 10px 0px;width:100%;border:0;}
.barry-graffiti-ext{background-color:#ffffff; border:3px double #000000;width:90%; margin:0 auto; max-width:700px; min-width:450px;-moz-box-shadow: 5px 5px 15px #111111;-webkit-box-shadow: 5px 5px 15px #111111;margin-top:20px;}
.barry-graffiti .ooc {padding:0px 15px 0px 15px; margin:0px;border-bottom:1px dotted #222222; font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:10px;color:#555555;line-height:12px;}
.barry-graffiti .wotd {border-bottom:1px dotted #222222;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread