the skin i can't wait to shed.
[html]

(570) It happens! C: And I don't know where this long post came from, ha. >< Not a lot happens at all in the first two paragraphs (Eris like, nods in the first paragraph, heh), so you can probably skip 'em. XD Sorry about that. :C

Suspicion came naturally to the sable-shaded woman now. She trusted those within her pack, and those within her personal circle of preferred persons more than all the rest. The foreigners, the other pack's members -- they were the real danger. Salsola had little to fear from loners; without a pack, they were not quite as fearsome. This woman, however, did not seem to be of the local packs. She was travel thin and seemed worn for it, and her scent bore only a faint trace of the general area -- perhaps she had just tumbled in over the mountains. Eris considered this possibility, weighing it heavily even as the other woman spoke and she nodded along with her, immediately accepting the words as truth. Rue was not from these parts, Eris agreed, and that was good.

Part of Salsola's strategic position was to intercept the newest tides onto the Nova Scotian peninsula. They were, likely as not, the first pack many newcomers caught sight of. Just as many chose to flee, and it was better that way for Salsola and the newcomers both. Those who were encountered far away and alone, though? These were prime picking for their ranks. Salsola could take the choicest newcomers to walk across that isthmus and leave the rest for the other packs. Looking at Rue, however, she did not think this one was choice at all; on the contrary, she seemed particularly travel-worn. Still, her world-beaten appearance did not completely youth from Eris, who spied it lurking beneath smudges and tangles of once-pearly fur. Youth was a valuable asset, indeed, and surviving even a short time alone was a testament to a canine's strength in Eris's opinion. There was more to this wolf than matted fur and dirt.

Eris Eternity, she said, introducing herself in turn. I don't know where Ontario is, but if you've just arrived, it looks like the trip was unkind, the hybrid offered, frowning and inclining her head ever so slightly toward the ground as she did so. I only meant to come up here for a few hours, so I have nothing on my person that would soothe your feet or fill your belly, she added, sounding quite nearly apologetic as she spoke. In truth, she was almost sorry -- tasty morsels at just the right time of need could sometimes serve as a wondrous foot in the door for a new recruit, endearing them to Salsola early on. The presumption that such a journey would cause one to be hungry and weary in the feet was of personal experience, her own long months spent trekking.

If you feel up to it after a rest, maybe we could hunt, she said, rolling a shoulder at the suggestion. In truth, she could eat -- she could always eat these days, regaining strength from gestating and birthing and nursing and now raising her children. Tiredness and hunger had become as much a part of her as her coal fur, and she did not think a meal would be an opportunity Rue would pass. Why did you come here? she asked, adding: hear any stories of a lovely place with so many packs? This statement was punctuated with a short laugh; the story was common enough. Somehow, word spread, and canines from very far away ended up here. Just as many ended up here accidentally, though.

<style>
#simple-text {
font-family:georgia, serif;
font-size:12px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:16px; }
#simple-text p {
text-indent:50px; padding:0; margin:10px 0; }
#simple-text .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:11px;