...but I digress,
[html]

Rambly dialogue ahead.

The girl mentioned dynamite. Ephraim gave an alarmed snort then met her sky-blue eyes with a hint of a smirk. This one wasn’t going to waste time asking for small comforts such as more food or bedding, was she?

“You can be strong, precious,” the quarter-dog murmured, cutting the crap and letting a genuine smile settle gently on his lips. “Canines adapt. I’m not asking you to love all this shit you’re going through, but I’m telling you that you can be strong and bide your time.” There was an almost dangerous look in his brown eyes, a glimpse of the true man behind the façade. “What’s the hardest time you’ve ever been through, sweet girl?”

The eunuch would not ask her to share without sharing his own story, of course (assuming she would speak at all to a total stranger), and he rolled his shoulders and glanced back at the guards before the rest of his smile drained from his face. “Less food than this, far northwest. I had to fight other starved luperci to protect a stupid frozen carcass one winter.” He looked briefly at his hands, remembering encircling a grey throat when his final competition came. “We all have an animal inside us. It lets us live. It gets us through situations we couldn’t even dream of. Maybe it changes us in ways we couldn’t dream of, either, but at least I know I won’t die. And if I die, it’ll be after a lot of fighting.”

He grinned suddenly. “There’s a time for fighting, though… Just like there’s a time for dynamite.”

<style type="text/css">
.ephfisher b {font-weight:bold; color:#eeffd3; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #12210e; }
.ephfisher t {font-style:italic; color:#eeffd3; letter-spacing:1px; text-shadow: 1px 1px 1px #12210e; }
.ephfisher p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 16px; margin:0px;}
.ephfisher {margin:0 auto; width:470px; background-color:#48592a; background-image:url(http://i53.tinypic.com/kckug8.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #12210e; padding: 10px 0px 360px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#83a54c; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #; letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:15px; text-align:justify;}
.ephfisher .ooc {margin:5px 0px 10px 0px; font-style:italic; letter-spacing:1px; text-align:center; width:100%;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread