rattlesnake.
[html]

(327)

The hybrid peered at him through locks of reddish hair, stealing glances at his face now and again. There were scars there, but nowhere near the amount Kaena's face carried. Her cerulean eyes studied him as furtively as she could manage, and she did not move to leave him to his work, even when he was beside her. It was awkward enough having the Aquila cook for her, after calling her too skinny. She didn't need the added awkwardness of standing around fiddling with her fingers for lack of anything else to do.

She listened to him with passing interest, her mind still rather snagged around the earlier comment. An ear, now erect once again, twitched, and the faint beginning of a smile appeared on her snout. I would believe it. They weren't too smart, and... I have a book, she confessed, now becoming more animated. I think it was written after the end came for them. I mean -- it had to have been written by people, the rusty hybrid said, the tip of her tail now twitching with a little bit of excitement. Myri liked books; she liked talking about them almost as much as reading them.

It chronicles their end, really, she continued, standing and taking a few steps back from the fire. She settled back on the ground a few feet away, tucking her tail around her buttock and beneath her. With a subject in mind, she could talk, and there was something to do other than twiddle her thumbs, after all. Nevertheless, she picked absently at a small scab near her knee, faintly pondering how she had acquired such a wound. No answer crawled forth from the recesses of her memory, and it wasn't so important, anyway. Like all nicks and scrapes, it would heal. Much of the bloodflow from the emotional wound Ezekiel had unwittingly dealt her had already slowed, and now it, too, would begin to heal.

<style>
#sieSimple {
font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size:13px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px; }
#sieSimple p {
text-indent:50px; padding:0; margin:10px 0; }
#sieSimple .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#sieSimple .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;}
#sieSimple b { letter-spacing:.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#sieSimple u { text-decoration: none; border-bottom:1px dotted #000000; }
#sieSimple b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#sieSimple b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#sieSimple b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
#sieSimple hr { width:85%; margin: 10px auto; }
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread