rattlesnake.
[html]

(337)

The scent of cooking meat reminded Myrika of Thornloe. The Pacrels hadn't been much for cooking, and Myrika herself could not be bothered, most of the time. But she recalled this scent fondly, thinking of the drifting smoke, thick with the scent of fire licking at flesh. She inhaled deeply, deeply brown nose quivering as she did so, her eyes half-lidding a moment. They reopened again in widened surprise a moment later at Ezekiel's question. She didn't find her tale of origin quite so interesting, and she had avoided telling everyone all about it precisely for that reason. Now, here was a direct inquiry. The russet-hued woman smiled uncomfortably and shifted in her position, looking back down at the dirt.

Thornloe, they called it. It was a good way away from here... I can't tell you just how far, 'cause I took the long way, she said, the smile touching her lips feeble. It was less of a detour and more of an extended rest she'd taken, really. In hindsight, she should have busted Eira right out of the Pacrel's fencing and ridden off on her. It would have saved Myri a world of trouble with that family, she thought, rankled by the thought of the Pacrel family -- Tyveni included. Especially Tyveni, perhaps. Myri knew it wasn't quite right to hold Tyvi's preferences against her, but the bitterness seethed quietly nonetheless.

My dad and my sister and me... we set out to come here, looking for mama. A storm separated us. Dad made it, too, but he didn't come to Inferni -- he went back to Thornloe. I don't know where Cassie is, she said, shifting again. Now there was a visible frown on her face. She had given up family to come here, certainly -- some would have said it was her rightful place to return to Thornloe with her father. The whole wide world extended out around Thornloe, however -- how could she remain there forever?

Myrika is by Nat!

<style>
#myriNat {
font-family:'times new roman', times, serif;
font-size:14px;
width:95%;
margin:0px auto;
line-height:18px;
}
#myriNat p {
text-indent:50px;
padding:0;
margin:10px 0;
}
#myriNat p.sieImage {
text-align:center;
text-indent:0;
font-size:11px;
font-style:italic;
}
#myriNat .txtooc {
text-align:left;
font-size:12px;
font-family:georgia, serif;
text-transform:none;
font-style:italic;
font-weight:normal; }
#myriNat .txtooc .word { font-weight:bold; font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-style:normal;}
#myriNat b { letter-spacing:-.5px; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 12px; }
#myriNat u { text-decoration: underline; }
#myriNat b:before { content: open-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myriNat b:after { content: close-quote; font-family: georgia, serif; font-size: 15px; }
#myriNat b.npc { letter-spacing:.5px; font-style:italic; font-weight:normal; }
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread