rattlesnake.
[html]
The savage in man is never
quite eradicated

Word Count »

He stared at the coals as she ate, thinking of a thousand different things. Even as she began to speak he stared ahead and watched fireflies be born, die, and small flames lick across blackened branches. The wood itself was sooty and black, but the flames had all but died down. Now red and orange coals burned away, changing color with each passing breath. Those colors fascinated him; he did not understand the chemical properties of fire and thought of it as a living thing, in its own way. Like storms, the sea, and the darkest nights…everything was alive.

Oddly, he was not irritated by her speech. Ezekiel cocked his head in her direction, finally, and smirked. It was painfully obvious she still didn’t know how to speak to him. Then again, what had he presented her with? A stoic and scarred coyote who talked to birds was hardly the sort of fellow people looked to for conversation. “No, you’re right. I didn’t go after her because of Inferni.” Though he might have, if his father had remained…just taken off like there was fire under his heels.

“I did a lot of traveling when I was younger,” he went on, then fell silent. The coyote leaned over and pulled his bag up onto his lap. He dug through it quietly, and produced a small leather container. From this he drew a hand rolled cigarette and leaned forward to take advantage of the coals. After a few puffs, this was lit. He exhaled smoke into the air. “What was Thornloe like?”

<style>
@import url(http://bloodandfire.sleepyglow.net/publ ... s/zeke.css);
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread