stand against the wiles of the devil
[html]
The savage in man is never
quite eradicated

Word Count »

Oh there it was, the too-telling sign that another boy had filled his head with some false notion of a man greater than he was. Ezekiel had been like that once, when he had nothing to base his knowledge on, but after a month of close-contact and the still raw betrayal, Gabriel’s mythology was lost on him. He was a man like any other, and men were capable of mistakes—men were mortal. It had been Ezekiel who carried his father from the mountain. Gabriel was no God.

He remained still, not trusting his body. Some wolfish instinct wished for him to show dominance, to show reinforce the idea that he was not a force to be reckoned with. Had he not defeated Halo? Had he not remained when all others had gone? The coyote’s ears turned back, briefly, as he considered such a thing. “I doubt it,” he said bluntly, blonde hair flying away from his face as another gust of wind struck them. “But hope, if you want. Stranger things have happened,” the Aquila added, his teeth glistening in the sunset.

“If you wish to stay,” he went on, his eyes watching this new brother’s face carefully. “You should know what you walk into. Your name will gain you nothing here—I value those who prove themselves. You must be prepared to fight. You must be prepared to follow my orders when the time comes. And,” he paused, thinking of those new strangers he saw so much potential in. “Others will test you. This clan is...readying itself,” Ezekiel finally reasoned, knowing this was the simplest way to explain it.

<style>
@import url(http://bloodandfire.sleepyglow.net/publ ... s/zeke.css);
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread