A friendly welcome
[html]

Vesper

I said, I cannot follow the river

of her myth; but I can

follow her sweet desert song

like a stream through the fiery hills.

Word Count → 368

Vesper had never quite found a place to settle down since she had come into Nova Scotia in August. She found herself returning to the territories of the north, where forests blanketed the land and provided ample prey, which she hoped would remain during the coming winter months. Setting an actual den and claiming a patch of territory seemed too risky to the small hybrid, though already once now she’d come across a luperci fashioning one for herself. Just how comfortable were the other loners around here, with the startling number of packs surrounding them?

She yawned, pushing these trivial thoughts aside as she walked alongside a dry streambed, no more than a narrow trough in the ground. It was lined with the leaves of autumn, creating a brook of bold colors, and she wondered if any animals had found shelter under the leaflitter. Her nose turned up no scents, so she let out a sigh and walked along again.

I’m glad I’m used to this kind of excitement, the female thought sarcastically, smirking faintly as she scanned the woods. Most canines would have gone absolutely insane without anyone to talk to, but Ves had perfectly adapted to the life of the loner. Up north, the others were even more scattered than here.

She trotted along, pausing when she heard an acorn drop. Her large ears tilted toward the source of the sound, and she could make out a body submerged in the wide mouth of the den. Her thirst for knowledge got the best of her; she stepped closer and sniffed, able to detect that the busybody was a luperci male. It made her wary, but she couldn’t resist remarking upon his efforts.

“Did I miss the memo?” Vesper asked lightly, standing a couple of yards away from the great tree. “Is it Den Week?” She added a dry laugh in her head, not caring if what she said made sense to him or not. Her intention was mostly to get him to turn around so she could see him and talk to him; if she was ever going to make a den for herself like the other loners, she’d have to get to know her neighbors.

<style>
.vescoytext {width:480px; padding:10px; margin:auto; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i56.tinypic.com/2cyp1f7.png); background-position:bottom left; background-repeat:no-repeat;}
.vescoytext p.ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.vescoytext p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.vescoytext .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.vescoytext p {text-indent:25px; margin:0px; padding:5px 5px;}
.vescoytext b {letter-spacing:.05em;}
.vescoytext t {font-style:italic; letter-spacing:.05em;}
.vescoytext .poem {float:right;font-size:30px; font-family: 'Amatic SC', cursive; text-align:center; line-height:20px; padding:0px 5px;}
</style>

[/html]

Messages In This Thread