the devil never sleeps alone.
[html]
As much as I miss some things about college, I really do *not* miss finals week. I'd inevitably get sick (probably from stress) every. damn. time. x__x Glad to see you not only made it out alive, but knocked 'em into next week :o

At first he avoided her. If pressed, he would be unable to articulate why. It wasn't that he expected her to suddenly latch onto him; she'd already proven herself to be a strong, independent woman. Despite that, she didn't intimidate him. True, the Alpha thing was a little daunting at first, but she always seemed down to earth and laid back. Guilt seemed like a prime suspect, but he rationalised everything away a long time ago. What was it then? Quite simply, the abstract nature of their relationship was beyond his comprehension and initially, that made him uncomfortable.

Growing up, marriage was a pretty big deal. His parents were still together — as were his paternal grandparents. Everyone made a great spectacle of any mateship ceremony. Adulterers were shunned. For a long time, he very well thought it was the only way to do things. Enter Anselm. It took a Wild Dog to finally tame his copper grandfather's wild spirit, but the hybrid still had a thousand stories left over from his crazy days as a bachelor. Not only did they come at a particularly impressionable time — when going against the flow of the established order seemed more appealing than ever — they came right in the midst of some major drama with his first and only girlfriend. It seemed obvious Anselm had it right.

Of course, fantasies are often idealisations. Anselm's tales didn't capture the risk of unplanned pregnancy or jealous courtiers. Barry could handle one night stands, and — despite recent history — he could do the whole boyfriend thing (supposing the circumstances were right); it was grey areas that gave him trouble. Still, over time he came to accept their peculiar gig for what it was. There wasn't a name for it, and some people might judge them for it, but it didn't really matter. Fact was once he stopped stressing over it, he genuinely enjoyed her company.

Thus, when she turned to greet him and accepted his proposition, he gently bumped the underside of her muzzle and wagged his tail. It was a courteous, submissive gesture, but it was also fuelled by some undefined kind of affection. Well, I'm sure you know of some better lookout spots than I do, he prompted, glancing around with a shrug. If it was up to him, he'd plop down right there and just watch the waves roll in. But maybe somewhere else, the view was even better.

<style>
.barry-road p {padding:8px 15px 0px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;font-size:11px; }
.barry-road p:first-letter {font-size:30px;font-weight:normal;font-family: Lancelot, cursive;}
.barry-road b {color:#E68F39; font-family:georgia, serif; font-weight:bold; font-size:11px;text-shadow: #3A0A00 0.1em 0.1em 0.3em;quotes:'“' '”';}
.barry-road b:before{content:open-quote;}
.barry-road b:after{content:close-quote;}
.barry-road {font-family: verdana,sans-serif; color:#B88A4E; text-align: justify; background-color:#1B120B; background-image:url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... road_s.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:250px 0px 10px 0px;width:100%;border:0;}
.barry-road-ext{background-color:#B88A4E; border:3px double #000000;width:90%; margin:0 auto; max-width:700px; min-width:450px;-moz-box-shadow: 5px 5px 15px #111111;-webkit-box-shadow: 5px 5px 15px #111111;margin-top:20px;margin:bottom:20px;}
.barry-road .ooc {padding:0px; margin-right:20px;margin-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;border-bottom:1px dotted #3A0A00; font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:10px;color:#E68F39;line-height:12px;}
.barry-road .wotd {border-bottom:1px dotted #3A0A00;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread