the devil never sleeps alone.
[html]
Sliiiiight "powerplay" in that I assumed Naniko had told him about knowing Ravesque from before Anathema at some point. x_x Let me know if you want that changed.

Ravesque was a tricky subject for Barry. He respected the scarlet-eyed brute for tending to Naniko throughout her pregnancy and for allowing him visitation rights. Naniko was top dog, but if Ravesque had pulled the mottled loner aside and forbade contact with the children or their mother, Barrett wouldn't have had much choice but to oblige. Given how MIA he was during the kids' first months, it would've been 100% justifiable — after all, he was just some random shmuck who threatened to disrupt whatever sense of stability existed in their lives (while contributing nearly zilch to their upbringing or care).

Fine — but for better or for worse, things had changed. Perhaps it was a consequence of passing the two-year milestone; territoriality and reproductive rights seemed more imperative. Maybe he was just actually invested in the kids' lives now. Whatever the case, Ravesque would always be perceived as something of a threat. No amount of logic or reasoning could dissuade him from feeling this way; it didn't matter that Naniko pulled the strings or that the kids were getting old enough to make their own decisions. So long as the older wolf had a place in her or the kids' hearts, he was a threat.

Unfortunately, that wasn't fair. Naniko wasn't his; the kids barely were. He had no right to feel jealously, possessiveness, or entitlement. He never stepped up to the plate as a man, so how could he expect to be treated like one? Barry wasn't ready to be a family guy yet; hell, so far he'd proven incapable of committing to a pack! She was older than him and deserved more at this stage in life; if he was unable and unwilling to provide it, why did he even care? It was entirely illogical, but emotion always was.

Try as he might, he couldn't prevent some look of disappointment or distaste from gracing his features. His ears flattened somewhat and he sighed quietly under his breath, but his expression was otherwise unreadable. His gaze was distant as he weighed his options, but at length, he came into focus. He took a slow drag on the cigarette before passing it over and replying. I guess... I don't know, he began uselessly. Everyone's different. My grandfather took years before he got to know his children. On the other hand, I know kids in Crimson Dreams — not much older than I am! — who already have mates. But you'd known each other before, right? Can't be coincidence you found each other twice. Nothin' else, he knows where to find you, he offered encouragingly. Would you know where to find him? Maybe you can send a messenger, he suggested.

He doubted it was the answer she was looking for, but he could barely piece together his own intentions, much less a stranger's.

<style>
.barry-road p {padding:8px 15px 0px 15px; margin:0px; text-indent:35px;font-size:11px; }
.barry-road p:first-letter {font-size:30px;font-weight:normal;font-family: Lancelot, cursive;}
.barry-road b {color:#E68F39; font-family:georgia, serif; font-weight:bold; font-size:11px;text-shadow: #3A0A00 0.1em 0.1em 0.3em;quotes:'“' '”';}
.barry-road b:before{content:open-quote;}
.barry-road b:after{content:close-quote;}
.barry-road {font-family: verdana,sans-serif; color:#B88A4E; text-align: justify; background-color:#1B120B; background-image:url(http://i1122.photobucket.com/albums/l53 ... road_s.png); background-position:top right; background-repeat:no-repeat; padding:250px 0px 10px 0px;width:100%;border:0;}
.barry-road-ext{background-color:#B88A4E; border:3px double #000000;width:90%; margin:0 auto; max-width:700px; min-width:450px;-moz-box-shadow: 5px 5px 15px #111111;-webkit-box-shadow: 5px 5px 15px #111111;margin-top:20px;margin:bottom:20px;}
.barry-road .ooc {padding:0px; margin-right:20px;margin-left:20px;margin-top:0px;margin-bottom:0px;border-bottom:1px dotted #3A0A00; font-family:verdana,sans-serif;font-size:10px;color:#E68F39;line-height:12px;}
.barry-road .wotd {border-bottom:1px dotted #3A0A00;}
</style>[/html]

Messages In This Thread