Why do we play winter as a "lean time"?
It would be interesting to have something about this on the RP guide :3

I'd just like to point out, though, that Yellowstone isn't everywhere despite its position and temperatures being similar Smile Yellowstone has a completely different set of species living there than f.ex. Norway. Where Yellowstone has a lot of volcanic activity, for example, Norway just has a lot of mountains. This changes a lot about what prey is available, and what they do in winter. Our prey tend to migrate far, as the mountains get too cold. Also the areas where our wolves are at are much closer to human population than Yellowstone is, which also affects how much prey is availble (though it means nothing in this context). I think it illustrates that it is quite local how it goes down in winter for wolves, depending on the geography, so we should be careful with our conclusions Smile

I'm pointing out again, also, that pups are getting pretty big in winter time - the need for food may be somewhat greater then, as their consumption is much higher. Pregnant females don't consume as much as half-grown pups.

I'm not saying that wolves probably are starving in winter, but my guess is still that - depending on local variation - winter is somewhat harsher. In winter, you spend more energy moving and staying warm, as the body consumes more calories to maintain those systems, so that could be a factor as well. Lower temperatures equal more energy spent for moving around, and with our wolves' huge bodies...

Also, AniWaya also has meat and fish dried for storage, and that process only requires salt, so it is quite easily accessible for our wolves' technologial level. Big Grin

Messages In This Thread