Why do we play winter as a "lean time"?
I'm really not convinced we have an overpopulation problem. Yellowstone is about 3,500 sq mi rounding up*, and supports about 125-175 wolves*. Taking the lower end, that's 28 sq mi per wolf (or 0.036 wolves per sq mi, if you prefer). Using the ever fantabulous image analyser ImageJ, I see that the total habitable land area on the board is 19,437 sq mi. We currently have 184 PCs and 64 NPCs or 248 wolves, but to account for unofficial NPCs, I'll take it as an even 300 canines at any given time. That's still very nearly 65 sq mi per wolf (or 0.015 wolves per sq mi). So even if our wolves had twice the energy needs of an average wolf, we'd still be breaking even.

And again, that was being super conservative in my estimates. Taking the upper limit of wolves supported in Yellowstone, we see that a population density of 0.05 wolves per sq mi is feasible -- and that's over three times what we have. So even if our wolves required three times what an average wolf does, we'd still be okay.

Anyway, re: Noway, I'm not doubting that those guys have a rougher time. I just don't think the same applies to Nova Scotia, which has a maritime climate at sits nearly at sea level. I'm sure the geothermal energy heats up Yellowstone to some extent during winter, but it's also a mile above sea level at the lowest point. And I looked up a map for their range over the pond there -- they seem pretty isolated/like their habitat is broken up. :C One of the closest cities I saw to where they were was Lillehammer, so I compared average monthly minimum temperatures for Yellowstone, Halifax, and Lillehammer:

[html]
Sources: 1, 2, 3[/html]

I was surprised to see that Norway's was actually warmer than Yellowstone -- something about the gulf stream, yada yada XD You're probably right about the mountainous terrain limiting the selection of prey animals available. And you're definitely right about non-cold weather natives having a rough time. Anselm had to commission special clothes for Alacrity; I'd imagine jackals would have it pretty rough, as well as wolf/coyote species from the southwest like you said.

Nevertheless, Nova Scotia is milder than both and at a low elevation. I don't think it's non-mountainous terrain would greatly limit prey availability. And even if you account for increased consumption by the luperci, our population density isn't that bad. I don't think there'd be any winter time famines barring extenuating circumstances (like a plague, etc.).

Messages In This Thread