Why do we play winter as a "lean time"?
I'm not saying they're starving winter-time or that we're over-pupulated, but I'm saying that I don't doubt that it is harsher on the wolves, which does dictate f.ex. how much they might hunt when our luperci like to do other things as well Smile Moving in snow is taxing, and wolves might not be able to travel far for hunting when our packs are so stationary as they are. Most animals in general have a harder time in winter, and competition between carnivores is heavier. Even if prey may be in surplus, the packs will be larger because of pups, hence each pack needs to kill more. Our packs are pretty large compared to what the average wolf pack is IRL, especially counting PNPC's and whatnot. So their food consumption need would be a lot larger winter-time than RL wolves have now.

(Also the temperatures there are wrong, the areas around Lillehammer and Hamar with wolves living in them easily gets below 0 Fahrenheit in winter time, because the cities lie a lot closer to water and much lower than the wolf ranges :3 That's irrelevant, though, but it puts the temperature ranges pretty close to Yellowstone)

One problem with our thoughts here, though, is that we have eliminated all other carnivores from 'Souls, almost, in that they're never mentioned nor hardly played. So if our wolves don't have any competition I've no doubt that feeding is potentially easy, but I think most of us assume that other carnivores are included in the RP world, even if we hardly reference their presence.

-shrugs- I don't know enough about Yellowstone to make any kind of parallell, but I'm just saying that obviously, things differ geographically. Nova Scotia isn't Yellowstone either, so it's slightly silly to make any conclusions on how they fare here compared to there. Yellowstone is such a special case that it can't really compare to Nova Scotia.

Maybe it'd be easier to make any kind of conclusion if we make a formula - estimate how much meat a luperci in optime would need. Add a variable for added energy consumption winter-time, potnetially add a variable for pregnant females or near-grown pups. Map out what prey lives here, and where in Nova Scotia they live (f.ex. for all we know there isn't much around where AT lives, so that would be a big problem for AT in winter, when traveling takes much more time unless they invent skis - which would be awesome). Then we'd have some local information which is much more relevant to the discussion Smile

Messages In This Thread