still the days stay the same
[html]

Vesper

I said, I cannot follow the river

of her myth; but I can

follow her sweet desert song

like a stream through the fiery hills.

Word Count → 390

Vesper froze when she heard the summoning call. It was not the loud, clear song of a wolf but the yipping yowl of a coyote, and it brought her back seasons to Oliver and the band he roughly lead. That association was the only reason she marked the summons as what it was, though there was a cold sinking in the pit of her stomach at the memory. Regardless, she spun and raced toward the sound, knowing that she had wasted precious time standing there stupidly along the border stakes. As a new Vigiles she had been doing her job, but she knew that Ezekiel would not call meetings in that tone for frivolous reasons. She trusted Inferni and its leadership.

But what the issue was, she did not know. Perhaps relations with another pack had turned suddenly sour, or perhaps there had been issues with trespassers—though she would have known about the latter, having tended religiously to the borders whenever she wasn’t out scouting neutral territory. For all she wandered, she would have known something.

The lean tawny coywolf paused when she saw that others had already gathered. Rather than curse, she stepped in as quietly as she could and had faith that there were others even slower than her. Not making her presence a bold one, she glanced subtly around her at the rest of the ranks. While she knew and had spoken to a few, many were nameless to her, and some others she hadn’t even seen before with her tendency to stay away from the mansion.

Now was not the time to socialize, however. Vesper spotted Helotes and Zana among the crowd and trailed uncertainly toward them, taking a seat next to the dusky male she wasn’t sure she despised. Shuffling her forepaws in the dirt, she ignored him and happened to look across to where a younger coyote—the one that she’d met by the borders before she’d ever even joined, before Helotes had ever even attacked her—was seated by a dead wolf. The sight of the body caused a hint of revulsion to wash up in her, both at the dead creature and the fact that it had apparently become a threat—at least as far as the hybrid knew.

Tearing her blue eyes away, Vesper let them settle on Ezekiel, waiting.

<style>
.vescoytext {width:480px; padding:10px; margin:auto; text-align:justify; background-image:url(http://i56.tinypic.com/2cyp1f7.png); background-position:bottom left; background-repeat:no-repeat; font-family:georgia;}
.vescoytext p.ooc {font-style:italic; text-align:justify; text-indent:0px; padding:0px 5px;}
.vescoytext p.ooc + p {padding:0px 5px;}
.vescoytext .wc {text-transform: uppercase; font-weight:bold;}
.vescoytext p {text-indent:25px; margin:0px; padding:5px 5px;}
.vescoytext b {letter-spacing:.05em;}
.vescoytext t {font-style:italic; letter-spacing:.05em;}
.vescoytext .poem {float:right;font-size:30px; font-family: 'Amatic SC', cursive; text-align:center; line-height:20px; padding:0px 5px;}
</style>

[/html]

Messages In This Thread