Two Birds
[html]
----

"You aren't to blame for what someone else did, Sky is your mate - she knows that you could never have guessed what Liam would do. None of us did. Sky is closer to you than nearly anyone else in this pack - she is your mate, your best friend. Don't be afraid that she blames you - I know she doesn't," His troubled gaze eased some as the leader spoke her words of wisdom. Perhaps she was right, perhaps he was just being over sensitive. He nodded, feeling calmer. "You are right, I'm being foolish." He managed a half smile for the leader.

After a moment, he spoke. "Is there anything I can do to help? I mean, I'm sure we aren't the only ones doing patrols. Perhaps some pack activities? Or... something." What could they do as a pack? If he tried to arrange anything, Shawchert would ignore him, thereby encouraging others to ignore him. Maybe a pack hunt or something would help the pack feel less vulnerable. Or some kind of pack art, a new mural or a group sing along. A pack howl, perhaps.

Okay, so he didn't have many ideas. Perhaps he could speak to his mother, find out how she built up her pack's morale when she was shaman of Phoenix Valley. She had been a good leader, until Iskata had removed herself from leadership and put Jefferson in her place. Deuce hadn't liked that, he remembered. But back then she'd had a deep prejudice against coyotes and their kin.

With an internal start, he realized her hatred of coyotes was the same as Liam's hatred of black wolves. Deuce had lost her son Shadow to a coyote, and had lost a home to coyotes. Liam had lost family and his home to Azza, a black wolf. Deuce had gotten over her prejudice. Perhaps there was hope Liam would grow up and forget his as well?

Tal let this fantasy play out in his mind for a moment, knowing in his heart that Liam's issues went far deeper than a simple prejudice, knowing that Liam would never outgrow his prejudice the same way Tal would forever cling to his belief in Rhiannon, the family's patron deity.

<style type="text/css">
.emptybed b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000;}
.emptybed p {text-indent:0px; padding:5px 15px; margin:0px;}
.emptybed {margin:0 auto; width:400px; background-color:#ffffff; background-image:url(http://i40.tinypic.com/f2e80.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #4f4564; outline:1px solid #000000; padding: 215px 0px 0px 0px; font-family: Georgia, serif; font-size:12px; color:#312840; text-shadow: 0.1em 0.1em 0.2em #;letter-spacing:.6px; word-spacing:.9x; line-height:13px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
wc: 372
[/html]

Messages In This Thread