slip stitch with broken strings
Words: 929
[html]

The dark-edged dog had not imagined herself ever wearing this coat, although it would have fitted even her narrow frame - pinched in at the waist in a manner in keeping with human aesthetics, and designed cleverly to hang on most anybody's shoulders while still giving the appearance of good size - but it was far too luxuriant a thing to suit a spartan and simply dressed one like herself; nothing she owned was without function, although that didn't entirely bleach her garments of beauty. She knew she was going to have to lend her other coat, her leather trench coat to Terra for practicing purposes, and come up with some kind of explanation as to where her purple scavenged outerwear had gone to. Hopefully she could somehow distract the active-minded girl. But she would also have to design herself a replacement for the jacket, because her own fur coat was not bred to withstand the wintry weather. Even though this one was so much milder than the last as to seem almost an entirely different season. Caspa had a leather hood in mind, something that would extend over her shoulders too, but no further as she did not currently own enough dark tanned material to create a full coat, and it was her habit to dress only in black or shades of grey. She liked to think of her lack of colour as another way to deprive herself of something frivolous and really only a luxury, another way to train her strength of mind. Those with other strengths could wear their colours with pride, but she had only her simplicity.

The Dauphin seemed to approve of the idea, although the benign words came with a caveat regarding the pair managing to truly astound. Caspa wasn't sure about that, as they had been practicing for such a short time, but she knew their showmanship and unique partnership to certainly be amusing. "Well, I can't be sure as we have yet to play to an audience... but we have been astounding one another quite a bit," was all she could think to say, not wishing to get his hopes up, but also strangely wanting to interest the man in their idea. Perhaps she was just hoping for an audience made up of everybody who was anybody in the court, as her whole motivation behind the idea had been to bring the pack members together in a single occasion that was not a discussion of war.

She noted the skilful manner he handled the cloth, a lifetime of experience seemingly in those hands. He had a sensuous way about him that she found foreign and unnerving, although highly pleasing to the eye. "Yes, I can work leather, but nothing more delicate," she shrugged. Her fingers were not nimble or dextrous, although her reflexes were fast. She wondered the purpose of his question - was he seeking assistance with something?

But the quick-thinking man had moved onto another question altogether and she pondered thoughtfully over his words, dark brows furrowing over her deep eyes. "An effect of sparkling and glittering would be excellent." She paused here, trying not to visibly shudder at his other quickly thought-up ideas. Terra was not some old wizard, but more besides, the kinds of symbols he spoke of seemed like they could have occult associations. Stars and moons were too significant in her eyes to use for entertainment purposes. "I think perhaps nothing recognisable - patterns of spirals or swirls, if you can, would be perfect. We may need some extra lining... and pockets, too. I am willing to undertake the sewing myself," her voice grew heavy at this point, thinking of the difficulty her long fingers always had with small needles such as this would require, "but maybe while the decoration is in progress I could show you in a drawing and you can tell me which of my ideas are feasible, I would be most grateful..." She held her breath, hoping against hope he would be willing to try his hand at the task. It was essential for the look of the thing that their star performer should be dressed fittingly, and Caspa could not imagine herself enough of an artist to create anything good enough. Strelein could do it, and that was the only reason she was here. She would never have forced herself over this threshold if he wasn't their best and only hope. So far she was glad that she had kept everything businesslike and sensible, but she knew she must not push her luck, for the strange nerves and jitters could return at any moment. Then her heart soared: as he got onto the subject of payment, it seemed certain he would undertake the project and the hound's tail swished gently with delight. "Of course I shall give in return, anything you wish." She knew he already knew of her leatherworking skill, which was really all her talents, except how to butcher and preserve meat. She doubted this already calm and self-assured man would need to learn to meditate, or want lessons in gardening - when would he have time for that earthy task? She left it up to him to name his price, certain she could turn her hand to his desire. Balance in all things was her watchword, and Strelein would be giving a good deal of his time up for the sake of the magician's robe.

<style type="text/css">
.caspaseaview b {font-weight:bold; color:#212527; letter-spacing:1px; }
.caspaseaview .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px; color:#4d5050}
.caspaseaview p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.caspaseaview {margin:0px auto; width:400px; background-color:#e8ebe9; background-image:url(http://i.imgur.com/yDXkc.jpg); background-position:bottom center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:1px solid #ffffff; padding: 8px 0px 206px 0px; font-family: verdana, sans-serif; font-size:12px; color:#434644; line-height:15px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>

table image credit to Burksy@flickr
[/html]

Messages In This Thread