but I'm sure she was in hell
She was forced to leap backwards again, but eyes that could have frowned or widened with panic remained only serene with a hint of condescending judgement. What witless fool was this that retreated into violence without a word of preliminary investigation or rebuttal? She might have taken a warning to leave him and the entire mysterious town alone. But it seemed she was not deemed even worthy of threats. Or had she already seen too much? Her suspicious mind ticked ahead of the obvious evidence. Whatever was concealed here must be of magnitude, to require such decisive protective measures. Either that or the young man was quite mad. If the latter, he was innocent of any crime, by her estimation. And so Caspa could not hurt him even if she had the ability to break through his parries.

And so she was in a vulnerable place indeed, but nothing about her showed it. Almost as if her body was merely an emotionless puppet for her mind, she made only the mechanical movements necessary to avoid his blows and stay out of range of the wicked sword. But she dropped her knife, wondering if that would restrain him. Empty palms lifted, displaying her nonviolence. "A cold assassin, is it? Or do you just fear my throw? Wise indeed - but I have cast my knife down now. So now are you willing to be civil, or must we continue this dance?"

Messages In This Thread