This betrayal burns like fire
ooc: Feel free to either control Verusha or leave her for me to play. She's completely lost it in the sense that she doesn't understand her surroundings very well, but she does know people/stuff/chores/blah. She'll remember Anatoliy if she's just pay attention, but she kind of just sits and goes DERP. Also, I took the liberty of assuming he would go along with her to Borgata Tecolotl to find Verusha. If you want me to undo the walking PP, just lemme know! Smile
wc: 987

Liliya nodded eagerly as her brother told her of his new pack, and for a moment it seemed her head might bob right off her shoulders. So he had found a new home away from the place they had taken sanctuary before, yet it still seemed to make him happy and so her heart sang. Though when his words crossed to Anann there was no hiding the sour look that flashed upon her visage, a small hail to the memory of a time best forgotten. The Russo sister had made a fool of herself when she thought Anann was trying to steal the man she liked. Even though it had been her own folly some immature part of Liliya still held a splinter of resentment toward the other woman as though it had been her doing, though they had tentatively patched up any lasting holes in the fabric of their relationship when Anann had visited Salsola weeks ago.

“Ah,” she said as she clapped her brother's shoulder. “Is good home, it sounds like, but vhat is home without Russo?” Her eyes sought his and what she saw there surprised her hardening heart. Something within his eyes told her that it didn't matter than Anann wasn't a Russo. No, again she was wrong. She was a Russo because she was loved by a Russo. Liliya shook her head and waved a hand, casting her eyes away in veiled shame.

“Never mind. Too long have I been tired of men, vhy shouldn't I be jealous of you and Anann.” She smiled and chuckled. “Is great home. Is strongk. Anann is strongk, and fearless. You should have seen her valtz right up to Salsola like it is vhere she belongked! I am happy for you.” Another flamboyant wave of the hand as she tried to cover up her offense with quick compliments of her brother's love.

His next words stopped her cold, and she stared at him slack jawed and incredulous for a long moment. “Father... is... gone?” She had inquired about her family when Anann visited Salsola, but she hadn't put any stock into it when the Kelevra woman told her that Rurik was no longer around. “Vhy didn't he come find me in Rus?” Her brow furrowed and her heart's pain was clear in her face. Never mind the fact that her father couldn't just divine where she had gone. She felt like he owed a debt to Verusha – although his debt to her had been paid long ago – and should have sought her out. Still, she had come and gone so quickly that it was probable they had missed each other entirely.

She chewed on the thought a while, wondering if there was some way she could send word and appeal to her father to return. He was one of the few reasons she came back to this place (few reasons being aside form the multitude of direct and extended family she had living here, and her desire to give her mother a better life). Her brooding was soon interrupted by Anatoliy's excitement. She could mope about Rurik any time, for now her brother's happiness brought her back and a smile soon cracked her muzzle.

“She is helpingk with chores, pickingk mushrooms on the island now. Come!” She grabbed him by the arm and might have dragged him, though surely he was so excited he would had led her if he could. “We vhill find her.”

Leading the way, Liliya led her brother towards the beach where she had spent months doing backbreaking work, all the while chatting away about the dock and ferry she had built just so her pack could reach the island, and then about how there was a cave on the island with it's own wet climate that grew mushrooms even in the dead of winter, and about how she had fished the bay for crabs, and all other manner of things. The talk filled the silence and the walk seemed short, and soon enough the Russo litter mates stood upon the sandy shores of the bay within Borgata Tecolotl, staring at the small dock she had crafted and the cabling that spanned the bay to the island beyond. The ferry was out, so if they were going to remain dry they would have to wait for its return.

“Do not fret, brother,” she said, grinning. She yipped a special call out over the waters, and someone moved upon the island in the distance. Soon the pulley squealed and the ropes started to move, and as the ferry came closer the ashy brown shape of the crazy coyote woman came into view.

But the closer Verusha came the more aware Liliya was of the golden ring in the woman's nose. She hadn't told Anatoliy yet; would he understand when he saw? She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye, shifting with unease and possibly alerting him to her discord despite trying not to – she pretended to be just really happy to see her mother.

The ferry came to the soggy place where it could go no further, but Verusha did not step off. Instead she knelt down next to the large sack of mushrooms, picking up the ones that had spilled over on the journey back to shore. The woman was a bit of a loon, so she hadn't thought to take particular notice of the man with her daughter, nor recognized the son she hadn't seen in years. Surely she would know Anatoliy if she just thought about it for a moment, but for now Verusha smiled at her poke of mushrooms and said absently, “Liliya dear, vhat do you vhant with all these mooshrooms hmm? You can't feesh with them, they are too frail. I vhill make chowder instead, you get us clams, feesher girl.”

Messages In This Thread