let me see that
[html]

I'm sorry. :| Skip the first 6 paragraphs if you want, not necessary to read lol. 1,272 words.

Crimson Dreams was the only pack she had ever lived in, and as far into the future as she could see, it was the only pack she would ever reside within. Her mother spoke of Italy sometimes and some of her family had even left the pack of Dreamers to return to the foreign country, but that was not where Artemis had been born. Though her blood originated there, this was where she belonged, and as long as Crimson Dreams held her family, so it would hold her. There was no desire within the silver-painted girl to wander freely; she did not want to see the world or explore other places. She was rather happy where she was, and it was not often that she left the pack lands at all. It was a comfortable place, and while some of the members were questionable at best (her thoughts turned to the strange bicolored male, Mars, at this), it was home.

That being said, she knew very little of the dynamics of the other packs. What she knew of the others had come simply from experience or hearsay. She knew of the Miracles pack because of Alder and Heath; she knew of AniWaya from Liliana and the recent war; she knew of Inferni because of Cypress. The other packs, particularly the northern ones, were simply foreign bodies to her, so she did not know what to expect from them. It seemed only possible to her that they might be aggressive to other packs and their members, or they might be the most friendly packs in the world. Artemis simply did not know, and as she did not wander often, she did not much care.

It was reassuring to hear that it was not a pack mate who had done this to Aeron, but a stranger. That was not necessarily a good thing, as it meant that there was at least one aggressive loner out there, but at least Aeron lived in a safe home. It was strange to think of the war-like actions of Inferni and to consider it a home to many; Artemis could never live somewhere like that. It would be too taxing on her spirit; it would hurt her soul. It had been hard enough to deal with the conflict caused by Maska and the guardians in AniWaya. Truthfully, the young Marino had pretended it was not happening more often than not, because it had simply been too much for her to handle. Perhaps that was not the best method of dealing with it, as she had not been very helpful, but the truth of it is that she had been so terrified, so afraid for her family, that she simply could not do anything to help. It was easier on her to pretend.

If something like that were to happen again, though, she would be prepared to help. She would do everything that she could to aid her pack mates and her family in the best way she knew how, and that was a part of the reason she wanted to learn about healing. If there were ever another war like that, then she would be able to help tend to injuries, and if she was good at working fast, she could work on the field to help those injured as soon as it happened. With Cambria, Amata, and Artemis capable of tending injuries, the pack would never be faced with a shortage of medics and if something happened to one of them, like when Cambria had been captured by the tribal wolves, it would not hinder the pack’s ability to save the injured.

The recent war was not the only reason that she wanted to learn to heal, of course. Finding the young pup by the manor and seeing how sickly she looked had pulled that the Marino’s heartstrings. Blaise had triggered an instinct in her that she had not known she had: the desire to help, the aching urge to heal. It had been a dormant instinct until she had found the weak, starving puppy and heard that her mother had been sick. Later, the pup’s mother had been found dead, but Artemis knew nothing of the details that surrounded that. She simply knew that it broke her heart to know that the girl could have suffered the same fate if she had not found her.

Her own injury did not contribute much to her desire to become a medic, for she tried not to think of the long period of time where she had been in a state of prolonged sleep. She did not remember much from the fall or the time she had been asleep, though she knew that her family had visited her, Cambria and Amata had tended to her, and her mother had never left her side. Silvano had read to her, though she only learned that when she woke up and they continued the book. Thinking of that was far too painful still; though she had come to terms with her accident and she had accepted that Denali had been murdered in the wake of it, it did not mean that she had come to terms with being the indirect cause for that. Sometimes she thought of him and smiled, but it was fleeting, for he was gone in such a violent manner. He visited her in her dreams sometimes, too, but still it was painful upon her waking.

When the northern coyote offered the injured arm for her to look, Artemis was eager to inspect it closer, taking note of the stitching. That was definitely something she wanted to learn to do; it looked incredibly useful. “Did she get your horse?” she asked, hoping the answer would be a negative one. Artemis did not have a horse herself, or even any sort of animal companion, though she knew that many in Crimson Dreams did, including most of her siblings and her mother. It was not because she found it strange or wrong that she did not have one; she just never thought of it much. Horses were the only animals she had ever given much thought to in regards to companionship, and that was perhaps only because of Heath and Alder.

“I want to become one,” she said, admitting her desires out loud for the first time since she had realized them. “I’ve been doing a lot of reading and I wanted to gather some supplies, but I haven’t had much practice yet.” In fact, she’d had none at all, but she did not want to admit that she really was that inexperienced. Looking apprehensively towards the tall building, Artemis held in the sigh that threatened to escape. She would have to go in at some point, and what better time than now, when she had company and could use Aeron’s arm to learn a bit? In her bag were some of the books she had found, and maybe she could find something inside that could help Aerson. Maybe her stitches needed fixing or removal.

Nodding decisively, Artemis smiled that the coyote woman. “I’m not really sure what I’m looking for, but I appreciate the help.” She gestured to the door, then stepped forward and opened it, holding it open wide for the injured woman to enter first. It was only polite, and her mother and father had raised her to have good manners and to respect her elders, which Aeron was, even if she was not actually old. Artemis was clearly the younger of the two, and she was also probably more inexperienced when it came to life matters.

<style type="text/css">
.missatrans001 b {font-weight:bold; color:#000000; letter-spacing:1px; }
.missatrans001 .ooc { font-style:italic; padding:0px; font-family:verdana, sans-serif; font-size:11px;}
.missatrans001 p {text-indent:25px; padding:5px 10px; margin:0px;}
.missatrans001 {margin:0px auto; width:450px; background-color:none; background-image:url(http://i692.photobucket.com/albums/vv28 ... cstars.png); background-position:top center; background-repeat:no-repeat; border:none; padding: 15px 0px 15px 0px; font-family: georgia, sans-serif; font-size:12px; line-height:12px; letter-spacing:.5px; text-align:justify;}
</style>
[/html]

Messages In This Thread