you raise me up
[html]
lol, have you read this madness? It's probably why we have the weird-looking beret icons. 8D

Does a madman know he's mad? the hybrid wondered, echoing a centuries-old question. It seemed he had gotten himself in another conversation about the philosophies of the mind, of their nature and perceptions. It seemed like an ironically inappropriate thing to do, for he was certainly a madman himself regardless of the fact that the cackling in his skull seemed to have disappeared almost completely following the fire. Maybe such things really could be killed, but he didn't like to invest too much hope in that -- doing so was only an open invitation for the creature to return. If a child behaves madly, is it considered as such? They refine themselves to an accepted standard of sanity, only to gradually tire of it and return to their original state.

His words sounded scholarly, and it was a formal tone he rarely got to use anymore, what with alphaship obligations far, far behind him. The urge to laugh hung quietly at the back of his throat; it seemed so pretentious for him to say anything on the matter. Circumstance had too much to do with everything for such sweeping generalizations to be made. Besides, like most everything else in the world, madness was a subjective label, and unlike sanity, it was one that even society's rampant and systematic categorization could not seem to define. Lands are often independent of their people, but these people came from a wretched place. Inbred swine, he said of them all, of himself, of his children, Corrupted and torn by war, vice, and history. They had faced the apocalypse once already, it seemed; he wonder how long it would take before fire swept through the forests again, attempting to purge the world of what it had never needed. Madness, madness. It consumed them all. Maybe this stranger-to-their-past thought he was immune. Maybe he was. Maybe not.

In the long run, they were all dead anyway.

The hybrid took in the offered name and drew no immediate conclusions other than, indeed, what had already been offered. But the seeming lack of information did not deter him from his previous assertions. Names are like any other pieces of information, he elaborated further, You still have to know other things to make the most of it. A human scientist may value a rock from the moon for its properties, but anyone else might find it to be just a rock. I don't know the language your name comes from; perhaps if I did, I would derive more from it. I don't know your past or your family; perhaps if I did, I would derive more from it. I don't know you; perhaps if I did, I would find irony. Because whatever else may be said of names, they were almost always ironic, whether that was because it was awfully fitting or awfully unfitting didn't matter -- it was always ironic. Traced through a bastardization of one language he didn't know to another, his own given name could be understood to mean "rainbow." Ironic? Probably.

[/html]

Messages In This Thread