[m] the beginnings of evil
He glanced over his shoulder and smiled at her as she followed him in, and he did his best to make his eyes seem apologetic. He moved to the table in the center of the room and righted one of the chairs that had fallen over decades ago, brushing dust off of the seat but he didn't sit down. “Sorry,” he said casually. “I guess this is the wrong place. I could have sworn it was in this direction. I wouldn't even know which way to go, if it isn't here.”

He moved over to the stove, and thought if the flu had been cleaned they probably could have had a nice fire there. It would light up the room some; there was even still a small wood pile there next to it that was nice and dry from years of waiting. Finding an old broom stick next to the iron stove he took it and poked it into the mouth, then up the flu. Surprisingly it was clean of most debris.

“How 'bout I light us a fire to warm us up a bit?” He flashed an angelic smile at her, and then began loading the wood into the belly of the stove. All the trimmings were there, and he found in the cupboard above an old lighter. He flicked it several times, and once the rusty age wore off the thing actually sparked to life. “Well I'll be damned...” he muttered to himself as he bent down and lit the fire. The wood caught easily even with as little kindling as there was, and soon the fire was large enough to cast a flickering glow into the room, making long, dancing shadows on the wall.

“Come here,” he waved his hand, trying to get her to come closer to the warmth of the fire. There was a short pause, and then he decided to brave another question. “Miss Juliet, I want to ask you something. I know we just met but... do you... do you like me?” He felt a little foolish, grinning to alleviate the tension. “I like you a lot. You've been good company. I should tell you something... there's not really any paint.” She was bound to figure it out sooner or later, so he figured honesty was the best policy. Maybe it would make her forgive him his lie. “I just said that so you'd walk with me for a while.”

((wc 415))

Messages In This Thread